Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PalourdeSousXanax t1_j1vl9nt wrote

Why only this week? Being a decent human is not only a one week a year job..

loltheinternetz t1_j1wa2yt wrote

Lmao right? Like anyone reading this who is normally toxic. How about just not being that way?

kangareddit t1_j1we2e4 wrote

Exactly. I was a bit of a toxic ‘gamer bro’ in my teens and early twenties taking competitive online FPS way too seriously. I took a break (played puzzle and RPG games for a while) and made a resolution to be chill and be nice even if other players were being dicks. It actually made my gaming experience more enjoyable and relaxing and I wasn’t ending a session angry, covered in stress sweat and ready to delete the game.

ninfomaniacpanda t1_j1wa6ny wrote

True but maybe people realize that being nice is better for everyone lol

MeyerCo t1_j1vl215 wrote

Might be best not to play warzone 2.0 then 😞

HRslammR t1_j1waa9d wrote

Oddly I've run in to a lot more cooler people in DMZ than normal multi. Maybe bc they'd rather take a friendly than take a chance to lose their loot.

WhalesLoveSmashBros t1_j1wfm7z wrote

What’s the dmz? Is it a more hardcore/tarkov like war zone?

HRslammR t1_j1wgtjv wrote

Sort of. If you die you lose whatever bad ass weapon you had and start over. Mission based or if you just want to wreck some teams day. I like it a lot since it is actually quasi more realistic. Except the bots are STRONG AF

WhalesLoveSmashBros t1_j1whlwc wrote

Is it still br or extracfion/mission type stuff?

HRslammR t1_j1whqwj wrote

Extraction mission mostly. But if you run out the timer it becomes BR

WhalesLoveSmashBros t1_j1wi306 wrote

I might have to give it a try. I downloaded war zone on release and played it for like 3 hours but my pc at the time couldn’t really run it.

General_Brainstorm t1_j1wfm5l wrote

This is my experience as well. It doesn't hurt that once you have a full squad of 6 in DMZ you can pretty much control whatever you want.

abaram t1_j1w8dtd wrote

Yeeeah tons of kids with no concerns looming over their head and way better reaction times.

I ain’t about that t bagging life anymore, it’s difficult event to process in front of your nieces and nephews cuz all of a sudden I’m the T-bag uncle and I had to explain… what happened… Worst Christmas weekend ever.

et0930 t1_j1wf4vd wrote

When mw2 released I was playing with some friends so I set VC to "mute everyone" and haven't touched it. Been a very enjoyable experience

RockmanXX t1_j1vscgs wrote

Real LPT: Understand that most ppl in online games&forums are immature kids and they will be impolite cus that's what teenagers are like.

Vioralarama t1_j1wfgaq wrote

You say that but try being an older woman playing those games; they're cling-ons. And impolite. Also teenage boys are very high strung and emotional, the holidays rack up some suicide threats so have a hotline handy. But the last time I made a suggestion the suicidal kid was like, "are you a feminist? Hahaha!" It cheered him up immensely to make fun of me, meanwhile I was like ok but wtf that doesn't even make sense. Save that one as a nuclear strategy, I guess.

shejesa t1_j1w9729 wrote

So maybe don't be bad at the games and/or play play ranked if you're bad?

−22

Jewsafrewski t1_j1wavr6 wrote

Everyone who is good at a game had to start out being bad. Maybe just don't be a dick because someone isn't as good as you.

shejesa t1_j1wb4ah wrote

Go play normals, as long as you don't openly int i dont mind you struggling

−13

Electronic_Half_3825 t1_j1wborj wrote

You must be rpetty bad too ir your mmr puts You with new people

shejesa t1_j1wbupw wrote

In normals you get a much wider range, plus your mmr is decided after a few games

−10

Late2theGame0001 t1_j1wbio6 wrote

Lol. Get good… at life. It isn’t your world to set the rules. If I pay my money (not mom’s) to play a game. I’ll be as bad as I fucking want.

baoo t1_j1wfvk1 wrote

I'll play ranked thanks and yes I suck

Mouradb123 t1_j1vtzpq wrote

Mute everybody as soon as you enter a lobby

et0930 t1_j1wfdjx wrote

League does it right. Now only does it have an option to just turn off chat entirely. It also has in game commands of "/mute all", "/mute team", and "/mute enemy" which mutes everyone, just your team, and just the enemy team respectively

Notabot1980 t1_j1vmkyd wrote

Your Mom is a nice lady and I'll take her out for a respectful, delicious dinner!!?!

DKlep25 t1_j1vm7mg wrote

>try not to be toxic or rude to anyone in online games or forums this week. As there are alot of people who have no family and want to distract themselves from this. Instead be kind and thoughtful.

FTFY

ugotamesij t1_j1w66f0 wrote

What did you "fix"? You quoted all of what OP said, except the last bit:

>this goes all year around as well

LoomisKnows t1_j1vxjwh wrote

I played a game of overwatch on Christmas Day. Got 1 minute into the match before this bastion player started calling me racial slurs, really really obscure ones like gollywog and I'm there like "I'm not even black wtf" and he just went on and on for the entire first round- all this because I didn't rezz him in spawn the door XD

syizm t1_j1wfx7n wrote

Wow I've never even heard the term golliwog before.

Sounds like some subterranean fantasy creature that eats rocks and shits out mithril or something.

LoomisKnows t1_j1wt2ku wrote

They used to be collectable dolls, they're actually still available in japan. I literally didn't think anyone in the age bracket of overwatch players would know about them lol

SwSBvBPtVFiR t1_j1wys1e wrote

Im 23 and live in NY, i just now learned of this “gollywog” slur

woojo1984 t1_j1vnfqw wrote

Shit I want away from my own family sometimes.

Mahhcel t1_j1vt4rh wrote

Brother, if you are playing League of Legends any time of the year you are asking for it

jamaniman t1_j1wc8s9 wrote

Eh if you play aram or bots it's not too toxic. If you play ranked SR right now you're asking for it.

Sure you still get the occasional racist or toxic player in ARAM (~1/20 games maybe) but you just mute them, report them, then smile when you get the confirmation that the player you reported has been banned/muted.

Ranked SR is just cancer but that's all year round.

toryno1399 t1_j1wf7nw wrote

I forgot to click mute all last night on a corki mid match and they were on me cuz it was hurtful

Joubachi t1_j1vp361 wrote

If you need a reminder to not be a prick to others on games, stay away from online games alltogether....

marichial_berthier t1_j1vumkh wrote

May want to steer clear of online shooters

Shiny_and_ChromeOS t1_j1w6y6a wrote

I've heard Warframe had a surprisingly positive player base. Super helpful to newcomers.

Gaviel t1_j1wat1n wrote

Deep rock galactic has also been fairly welcoming.

Sam_Legacy t1_j1vr2aw wrote

I came from a toxic house hold. I actually need others to be toxic to me for me to feel at ease and as if I was back home. Having others be nice or polite to me scares me.

Chickentrap t1_j1vwxwz wrote

Try not to be toxic or rude. There ya truncated it for you

vinimanock t1_j1vzf3l wrote

I'm 2000km away from my family and appreciate the efforts

Aidy246 t1_j1w5z4q wrote

How about just treat people online how you would they been stood Infront of you (all the time)

AdTemporary6698 t1_j1vtrf6 wrote

The unfortunate part is that the people who would be toxic and rude would be even worse if they read this post. They would do it just to spite you because that's just how toxic they are. They don't give a shit what someone else is going through because they're extremely miserable themselves.

SweetEntrepreneur981 t1_j1w9b5n wrote

It will be good to do so all the time. What goes around comes around. Always.

Zombi3Kush t1_j1wgh50 wrote

As if toxic and rude people give a fuck lol If anything it will give them even more of a reason to do it.

keepthetips t1_j1vks27 wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

sandyman88 t1_j1vv9d3 wrote

I can’t play many online games any more without muting my own team and the opposing team. Pisses off a lot of my team members, but better than getting yelled at for every mistake you make. Remember that you’re playing with real humans and, if you want open communication, then it’s better to be positive.

Actually-Yo-Momma t1_j1vzzre wrote

Yeah but after New Years, start telling Timmy he’s a piece of shit again.

Real LPT, don’t be toxic to anyone

jellytrack t1_j1w5s7j wrote

I like how most of the online gaming posts these past couple of days are telling day 1 players to smack lil' Timmy during Christmas matches. For every, "Welcome to all the new players!" post, there's like a dozen curb stomping meme.

Valuable-Muscle599 t1_j1w05dw wrote

The dark and darker playtest and Stardew Valley were the only way I stayed out of my own head this last week. It's been a struggle not to drink myself into oblivion every night. One fun interaction or a wholesome lobby can change my outlook for the rest of the evening. Huge shout-out to the naked wizard who helped me extract for the first time.

5050Clown t1_j1w10np wrote

Don't be dick on the holidays (also don't be a dick when it's not the holidays)

angrydanmarin t1_j1w68rw wrote

Not even original MW2 lobby chat can out do family chat at Christmas.

Hit me with your best shot, nerds.

AUzg t1_j1w6zb2 wrote

Try it all year round...especially goes to younger gamers, once you get older, you're gonna realize it was worth it not to be an ass

Spacedode t1_j1w85cz wrote

I was depressed af coping with video games, the mocking of each other always made me laugh, but the people who were wholesome always brought happy tears to my eyes.

shejesa t1_j1w92e7 wrote

Sure, just don't feed my lane at all, or your lane to the point my adc won't be able to manage

BKSNLOW t1_j1w9p4p wrote

Hey i like the tip of, in general, not being an asshole

TedWaltner t1_j1wahvj wrote

I thought about this while playing Escape from Tarkov. Tarkov devs must hold resentment towards those of us without families, because for holidays they purposely make the game worse lol. For Christmas they removed all loot. Essentially everything was an empty christmas present. For halloween, each match you started with random afflictions, and weapon malfunctions went thru the roof.

TheKobraSnake t1_j1way9f wrote

I've been coming back to Overwatch and I find myself having a lot more patience, surprisingly, it's really easy to just defuse that shit

ironroad18 t1_j1wb69a wrote

Where was this LPT for Xbox Live circa 2005-16?

Dinkleballs t1_j1wbew4 wrote

Unfortunately I don't think the serial offenders really give a crap, if anything seeing something like this would make them want to do it more.

Pawn_of_the_Void t1_j1wcgfd wrote

Feels like an empty gesture. People who aren't nice already won't care?

spiritofthepanda t1_j1wci50 wrote

Thank you for the awesome reminder and LPT! It costs zero dollars to be a decent human being 🙏🏼

KleptoKlown t1_j1wciuu wrote

Preach.

I play Diablo 2 and the amount of toxicity is sad. Some people have been playing this game for decades and almost seemed offended when someone asks a question that they figure is easy to answer. They don't realize that most of us have lives and obligations outside of this game.

That being said, the vast majority of users are decent and willing to help others out. It's just the small amount of "dedicated" users can chase off newer users from a game that really is unique and special once you get the hang of it.

HaikuBotStalksMe t1_j1wcjuu wrote

The people that are hostile actually bank on this. They feed on people feeling bad and will gladly attack them for this.

MrMoussab t1_j1we0e5 wrote

NO grumpy cat face

TheloniusDump t1_j1wf8d1 wrote

And people who have family that sucks

baoo t1_j1wfake wrote

Wait, you don't get a kick out of video game toxicity? I never have time to play anymore but I find it hilarious being chirped by some random kid I've never met, it's part of the experience.

wut3va t1_j1wfhe7 wrote

The kinds of people who are rude in online games are not the kinds of people who give a shit about this.

heidismiles t1_j1wfi0d wrote

"Be nice" is not a pro tip.

Jak_n_Dax t1_j1wfjuz wrote

LPT: if you’re struggling emotionally don’t play competitive games online. Or if you do, mute everyone in the lobby.

OtterishDreams t1_j1wfnqd wrote

Do it this week. Then the week after that. Maybe just dont be a dick.

LimeRepresentative48 t1_j1wftq1 wrote

I hate the holidays and hide it. They make me sad. Kindness is always best. You never know the pain inside that someone tries to hide with a smile.

AceSmeghead t1_j1wfxqj wrote

I read in another sub that a dude was playing healer in a dungeon with three other random people and at the end someone messaged him and said he did an excellent job keeping everyone alive and it was greatly appreciated. Dude said that compliment had him buzzing days later it made him feel so good.

So instead of dropping a gg take a sec and message someone who was really outstanding and thank them cause you never know how much that could mean to someone.

Especially healers cause we get no respect. Also, STOP STANDING IN FIRE FFS!!! Damage dealers, I’m looking at you.

thmoas t1_j1whh8g wrote

Please do be rude to me so i can forget my other sorrows

blondechinesehair t1_j1wl0hz wrote

So don’t call an 11 year old a racial slur is your life tip?

BigbooTho t1_j1w2iyu wrote

Why the fuck is this a lpt

bobbyx1 t1_j1w9q0m wrote

Just stay away from most multi-player games and your gtg. Go play a single player or coop game with a friend.

Shiftyuu t1_j1w52w5 wrote

So insightful, never before heard LPT.

−1

sometimesdoathing t1_j1w62of wrote

Sorry brother, no can do. Play a single player game or an online one with friends if you're looking for good vibes.

As an edit: my general philosophy is to praise you when you do well and to flame you if you excessively do poorly. If you're wasting my time in the game then you're the problem and toxicity is a symptom.

−4

joemamma8393 t1_j1w5gws wrote

Hey guys be nice....cause I said so.

−5