Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bbqchips1337 t1_j5qf12c wrote

Assuming you don't have ADHD or something, and assuming you used to be able to, what other people are suggesting. But it takes practice, and it won't happen overnight.

I used to read a lot in school, then with college and work, I stopped having the time and energy and would only read short articles and newsblog sort of things. When I finally achieved some semblance of a work/life balance, I found it agonizing to try and read again.

You could also try starting with comics, manga, or graphic novels too. I felt part of my problem was "training" my brain to being able to read again. Also the usual be well rested, and not stressed nonsense too. Having a nice place to read and not having toworry about distractions too.

hikelake22 t1_j5t87qi wrote

I also had to re-train my brain. I set a timer for a certain amount of time (start small, maybe with five minutes) and wouldn't let myself do anything else until the timer went off. Then increase the time. This isn't necessarily "fun," but it can retrain your brain so that reading is enjoyable and engrossing again.