Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ca_agent t1_j5d6lsh wrote

I'm not trying to prove anything, Socrates.

brannana t1_j5d81ny wrote

So you’re just talking to make noise? You’re not trying to say that the article I posted is bad?

ca_agent t1_j5dcj19 wrote

Not every comment has to convince someone of something, sometimes you can just enjoy the ride.

I do think the article you posted was written with a bias towards trying to make people believe boycotts work without actually providing evidence they work. So yeah, I guess that means I think it is a bad article. Not saying you're bad, just probably the first article you thought was sufficient, wasn't to my eyes.

If I was to write an article trying to prove that boycotting works, I would strive to include data showing loss of profit due to the boycotts as well as shareholder meetings or complaints about those losses resulting in a change of company policy. To the point of this post though even that is insufficient...

This post implies that boycotts create change that protests can't. So changing a store from stocking one item versus another is not the sort of change a protest is aiming for. I don't see a boycott changing how police interact with black people, or how politicians interact with religious groups to the detriment of women's rights.