Submitted by blambo126 t3_118u3qm in LifeProTips

Some background info: As long as I can remember I've wanted to make video games, I managed to make this my career path and I went through 8 years of study to reach that goal.

After graduating I spend half a year looking for a job and was about to give up and look for an IT helpdesk job, started studying for that as well looking into getting Comptia A+ certifications since I don't have any experience or education in that area.

Then literally the last employer I send my resume before I'd give up told me I could come and work for them as a 3d artist, my dream job ever since I was a kid. It's a very big company as well, it's a well paid job, my coleagues are all amazing and very friendly and helpfull yet I don't feel any motivation what so ever. The work I have to do is not the most compelling, but it's not a bad way by any means to make a living and it's in my field of expertise.

So with all this going for me, I still manage to complain... I can't stop thinking about that IT job I'd been studying for on the side in case things went bottom side up for me in the games industry, wanting to start traineeships, follow courses, get a carreer started in that field of work. but I don't feel I can justify it. Not towards my parents, who supported me financially during my school days. Not towards my girlfriend, who's been pacienly waiting for me to finally get a steady income to be able to contribute to our future. Not to anyone tbh as they'd all think I lost my marbles giving up on this opportunity. And mostly not to myself as I'd hate to edmit I want to give up on 8 years of blood sweat and tears just because I'd rather be a helpdesk employee.

what would you do?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

keepthetips t1_j9j43kp wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

ThePowerOf42 t1_j9j4poc wrote

Tbh, i'd stay, least for a few years The exhauation you feel is properly from all the previous rejections (as you said, you landed your current job as the litteraly last resumé you sent) So to build up that Joy you had when it was your dream, takes time to rekindle Give it time and try to focus on the (many) good things you have.. colleagues et all After a few years you can always reconsider

kenikickit t1_j9j4v5x wrote

that’s rough, friend. sometimes, the idea of something can get so big that once you get to it, you feel let down. but that feeling might fade as your expectations come back down to earth.

i’d honestly say, try and stick with it at least until you see the culmination of your work so far. hopefully that means seeing it in a finished project that people can play. if the work itself isn’t proving to be satisfying to you, maybe the end result can be motivation - working on it is the hard part, but knowing what it’ll feel like to see something YOU made in a game might make the difference.

if that doesn’t work, don’t guilt yourself. shift focus and find a career that’ll give you satisfaction. you shot for your goals, and that’s admirable. sometimes what we think we want isn’t what it seems. but you only get one life and you deserve to feel fulfilled in what you do with it.

plus, you’ll always have the credentials that got you this job, which hopefully means they can get you another if you change your mind again, assuming you leave this job amicably.

Sufficient_Focus t1_j9j6i7a wrote

I wouldn't throw it away in an act of impulsion, thats for sure. Just treat it like what it is, work. That love for it will return, being a helpdesk would be even worse.

gingerriver t1_j9j6mgx wrote

Currently in school for game design, and I’d love to talk if you have time later today. I’m already feeling impostor syndrome the size of Texas and it’s making me bitter and scared away from finishing lol.

DroolingSlothCarpet t1_j9j6z3n wrote

>I got my dreamjob but I already want to switch carreers.

dream job

careers

−2

condor1985 t1_j9jde6o wrote

Gotta have goals beyond attaining your dream job. Happiness is a journey, not a place.

Humans are basically never happy in the long run unless they're in pursuit of something. Achieving the thing where you thought "once I have this, I'm set" often leads to a massive letdown because you've got nothing left to search for.

I'd say it's the same for hitting a savings milestone, buying a house, getting married, etc. Once those are done you're like "so... what now"

Odd-Independent6177 t1_j9jlykp wrote

On a practical career note, if this is a very big company like you say, internal transfers will be a possibility. Do your current job well, keep an eye on what they look for in tech support roles within the company.

On more of an LPT note, having solved the problem of getting a job, you are now faced with all of the other aspects of adulting that you were postponing. These can be legitimately stressful, even scary. Maybe talk to a counselor to help you get your bearings in your relationship with your girlfriend and with your parents. Not that I think you sound mentally ill, but some counselors also have expertise in normal but major life changes. It’s like a very professional life coach. Avoid those life coaches that are basically just fronts for pyramid schemes, though.

-----_------__----- t1_j9jpu5p wrote

Don't rush and quite your job. At the moment you have knowledge of two fields of both you seem to have somewhat of a passion. Think of what you want and if you can combine the knowledge of both. Gain some experience with the software used and the iner workings, especially if there are problems with it. In the mean time look at functions where you can combine knowledge of both fields, if possible in your company. That way you could grow to a more IT function while still maintaining your job. If you manage to learn and show the insides of your software you will be knowing insides as the goto person which could help your transition to another function.

werbit t1_j9jvd3x wrote

Just remember the grass is always greener where you water it man. I royally screwed up in college, thinking everyone was supposed to follow their dream path and I didn’t have one. Switched majors 3 times thinking it would click and I would be passionate about one of them. Wasted all that time and money just to drop out.

Took me 5 more years to figure out that for some people it’s just easier to be pessimistic about their current path and no job is always enjoyable. I’m content where I am now in accounting but because of my indecision I am way behind where I should be had I taken advantage of my privileges when I was younger.

Find the aspects of the job you enjoy and focus on those, good work ethic habits will get you through the rest. Make sure to look at the past and how far you’ve come as well.

iac12345 t1_j9mhwd8 wrote

Junior / starting roles in many industries are frequently not the most fun, and are usually the grunt work more experienced staff have moved beyond. Take a close look at what your more experienced colleagues are doing. Does that look interesting / motivating? If yes, you're on the right track. If not, start talking to folks in the IT industry you're interested in. Get a good picture of a "day in the life" of someone in that industry. Studying something is not the same as working in that industry.

kpac_2047 t1_j9ncm4a wrote

No one knows what their ideal career is when they graduate high school, even though many of us are expected to graduate and invest a ton of $ on college.

A good supervisor makes a bigger difference than almost anything else.

Stay at your job, learn the ins and outs of everything that you can. You will find a niche that you enjoy and excel at. While it might not be what you were hired for, the opportunities to do that will likely start increasing. This typically leads to promotions and career changes that align more and more with what fulfills you.