Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

keepthetips t1_ja6ee1r wrote

Hello and welcome to r/LifeProTips!

Please help us decide if this post is a good fit for the subreddit by up or downvoting this comment.

If you think that this is great advice to improve your life, please upvote. If you think this doesn't help you in any way, please downvote. If you don't care, leave it for the others to decide.

Chronically_ill_Alto t1_ja6ep3s wrote

yes but I'm in the US, and servers make about $2.15 per hour, they rely on tips. Give them a tip if you think the service is good, or don't. it's your choice. Just saying most servers get paid pretty low and rely on tips

mikecherepko t1_ja6fgkp wrote

You can do this if you seek out restaurants that do pay their staff they way you think they should. But otherwise, you know the deal when you walk in. You’re just violating the social compact and stealing without actually doing a single thing to change it.

Emilayday t1_ja6fia2 wrote

LPT: if you can't afford to tip, you should not be dining out!

NovarisLight t1_ja6fw88 wrote

If you return to the restaurant with the same server, you might get a big surprise in your food...

Ever seen the movie Waiting? Similar thing.

xBigDaddyZx t1_ja6g3n6 wrote

Clearly written by someone that's never worked in the industry. An even better solution is order takeout if you don't want to tip. Servers have to typically tip out to their support staff like busboys and bartenders. Not leaving a tip just means they pay out of their pocket.

claymaker t1_ja6g5ab wrote

"The servers are giving you good service? Great! That's what you pay them for (in your tip)." There, I fixed it.

SwingmanSealegz t1_ja6g5xf wrote

You know you’re taking up their time that could be spent on someone else who tips, right?

Bl00dc00k1e1348 t1_ja6gacl wrote

If you are a repeat customer you get shit service though. Just saying. This also happens if you tip low.

ElGringoSuave99 t1_ja6gaef wrote

This, my friends, is a life amateur tip. Or a life bush league tip. Definitely not a life pro tip.

the_seventh_hokage t1_ja6gcnr wrote

While this may seem controversial to people living in USA, this is how it's supposed to be and this is how it is in the rest of the world. Employers should pay fair amount to their workers and people should only pay to restaurants for the food they ate. If they liked the food or the service, it's upto the customer to give tip. Why is it so difficult to grasp?

Seridut t1_ja6gfu4 wrote

If you dine in a restaurant and do not tip, you are only hurting the servers while supporting their bogus wage setup.

thunderandreyn t1_ja6gxh2 wrote

Instead of shaming OP or anyone who believes this, maybe pressure employers and restaurant owners into giving out decent liveable wages for their employees?

That will then make tips into a sort of bonus money, not an absolute necessity.

Ever think about that?

FattyLumps t1_ja6gxlu wrote

No repercussions FOR YOU, maybe. The servers and their families will bear the repercussions of your decision.

Mx-Darcy t1_ja6h292 wrote

Maybe there are no repercussions for you this time. But unless you plan on never returning to a place where you stiffed the wait staff, you're just asking for shitty service because I can guarantee they will remember you and they will tell the other staff that you don't tip.

Yes, employers should pay their waitstaff actual wages, but the reality is that they don't. By not tipping, you're affecting someone's ability make a living. That's shitty imo.

This is the worst LPT I've ever seen.

Additional-Win-5380 t1_ja6h3eq wrote

I always tip 30% at bars and I get excellent service and the bartenders tell the girls I’m hitting on that I’m a good guy. Tipping well has got me laid via social proof from tipping.

Tipping isn’t necessary but it benefits you in the long run

claymaker t1_ja6h4ax wrote

As someone who used to work for tips (server), we know you. I see you. There are always some people like you, and after awhile, you can usually spot them coming in the door. We still have to bring you food and drinks, but we don't have to be happy about it. That's why you always want to have good relations with the host/ess, because s/he's the one assigning tables... and a talented hostess can spot you a mile away. Especially since most patrons are repeat customers, we know some of you by name.

P.S. This type of behaviour along with its accompanying BS rationalizations was usually on full display one specific day of the week on the afternoon shift. And that day was Sunday.

Snugless t1_ja6h64b wrote

no one’s arguing you there, but the fact of the matter is that your tips supplement their exploitation, it sucks and it should be difficult but its not. Not tipping them only helps you, which is why you dont tip, you might sorta care for the worker and think they should be paid more by their employer, but secretly you use this an an excuse to not tip

Cocojo3333 t1_ja6hdkn wrote

Servers are taxed whether you tip or not.

SpecificBig367 t1_ja6hk97 wrote

You think that because you aren’t paying tips, the service industry will suddenly go “omg we need to pay our workers a living wage!”. Absolutely not. The only person who suffers is the worker and their families who might not get to eat tonight or pay their rent because of people like you who have that mindset

Evolutioncocktail t1_ja6hlw5 wrote

Oh, you must be in the wrong sub. Try this one: r/UnethicalLifeProTips

FattyLumps t1_ja6hxgd wrote

If you feel so strongly about this, the only thing to do is to completely avoid establishments that don’t pay their workers fair wages without tips.

If you go to a standard US restaurant and pay money for the food but do not tip, you are supporting the employer whose practice you claim to oppose while harming the employees you claim to support.

4shadowedbm t1_ja6i61y wrote

I’m pretty sure that you won’t create change by putting the burden of that change on the lowest paid and least powerful stakeholder.

Your life pro tip keeps more money in your pocket while sending a poorly paid person home with even less.

I agree that this needs to change. Exclusively go to restaurants that pay well and don’t allow tipping. Promote them on social media. Talk to the next political candidate that shows up at your door about whether your state or province has lower-than-minimum wage law exemptions for hospitality workers and ask if they will change it.

Life Pro Tip: don’t expect people who can barely afford a living to happily sacrifice more for your aspirations.

yenvyma t1_ja6ia34 wrote

Everyone’s agreeing with you that servers are underpaid in terms of hourly wage and that they shouldn’t rely on tips. However, your execution causes more harm to the servers as an immediate action.

One thing is that according to US law, if an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. So instead of making more than minimum wage based on getting a lot of tips, they’re just making the minimum.

I understand the greater picture and that you’re hoping for change to occur for the employer, but the more realistic outcome is that they just get minimum wage, which in some states is less than 8 dollars. So this is a federal issue, not an employer issue.

EDIT: The best thing you can do is support businesses that actually pay a decent hourly wage plus allow tips for the employees and don’t give your business to everyone else. By eating at those restaurants but not tipping, you’re still supporting them and actively not supporting the servers. Reward the businesses that align with your views on wages.

LordOfTheDingi t1_ja6ilvp wrote

Ah, okay. Judging by your post history, you’re not in a great headspace. I hope you feel better and stop taking it out on innocent people trying to provide a necessary service and make a living. I promise, life is more fun if you’re kind <3

FattyLumps t1_ja6iojm wrote

If you agree, then I would recommend deleting this post and making a new LPT about supporting businesses who pay their employees ethically. Because your post does not send that message.

Nectarine_Effective t1_ja6jd9s wrote

You’d think, but that’s just not how it works. I’ve noticed service tends to be worse in places it’s not traditional to tip.. they make the same money regardless, why do anything above and beyond for you? Minimum effort makes the same money

funkybeatz911 t1_ja6kn41 wrote

The business is paying them less than $3/hr, all of which gets eaten by taxes

You’re bragging about treating servers like your personal slaves and encouraging others to do the same.

Funny how you blame the business owners for not taking responsibility and yet won’t take any responsibility yourself judging by all of your comments

mmaleck t1_ja6l781 wrote

Is this a joke? There’s no logic in putting more economic pressure on powerless people in an effort to influence a system that oppresses them. Not tipping underpaid laborers does absolutely nothing to change policy. As others have said, instead, patronize establishments that are working to change the system, get involved politically, choose activism.

HerMtnMan t1_ja6lh6i wrote

It needs to change, and I'll tip to help my fellow people out. I'll help put carts away, I'll shovel snow, I'll give people food. I'll tip but I'll also call owners out for not paying enough.

lovelyb1ch66 t1_ja6m19e wrote

There are repercussions for being a dick though.

dildorthegreat87 t1_ja6me27 wrote

Wow, you fixed the system! /s

You are really shortsighted and disconnected from reality if you think this is how it works.

dildorthegreat87 t1_ja6mlcb wrote

OP isn’t even in the United States, and had no idea what they are talking about.

Focus on your mental health and not other countries service industry standards smh

xBigDaddyZx t1_ja6mp8v wrote

The profit margin for a restaurant is typically pretty small. Any increase in pay they could give their employees is going to drastically impact the menu prices as the cost gets passed to the consumers. There's a reason so many restaurants go out of business within the first 5 years of opening. I'm certainly not arguing the system is the best, but the service industry is incredibly tough, and not tipping is just bad etiquette in countries where it is expected.

r_special_ t1_ja6ncme wrote

Sure… leave the server questioning whether they messed up or you’re just an a-hole. Servers live on tips. Starving innocent people won’t fix this system

[deleted] t1_ja6oo7m wrote

LPT: Don't take advice on how to be a decent human being from a troll

phoenixdown5005 t1_ja6pfqx wrote

I openly use it as a reason not to tip. It certainly helps me, and I’m ok with it. My profession should be getting the most tips, but we don’t. So maybe that’s why easier for me to not tip others.

−9

Sufficient_Focus t1_ja6pr8b wrote

lmao at everyone crying about the servers not getting money. it's the employers job to pay them not ours. They are literally part of the problem by choosing to work at places like that.

SALVI04 t1_ja6qy66 wrote

Cant you say the same about the employee? If they work there, they are supporting wage set up. Restaurants would have to pay more if there weren’t enough people wanting to be servers

TouristReal8464 t1_ja6s83z wrote

FYI good customer service don’t exist in countries outside of the US

Mordeshake-_- t1_ja6sdiv wrote

geez man, fix ur life before u try to give out shitty tips. this aint even a tip it’s simply gibberish for assholes

Stats_n_PoliSci t1_ja6t18l wrote

You’ll lose friends you go out to eat with. If you’re trying to date, you’ll lose dates. You might not lose them all, but you’ll lose all the decent ones. You’ll get subpar food and service if you return.

And then there’s the fact that you’re harming your server without helping anything. But that’s not about you, so it sounds like you don’t care about it.

Chief_Amiesh t1_ja6u0f4 wrote

Asking other people to join you in not tipping so you feel less like a shitty person? how about if you can’t afford to tip a low waged worker then don’t eat outside at restaurants, simple as that. everyone dislikes the asshole who doesn’t tip, there’s no profound life tip here

amazonfamily t1_ja6vlj4 wrote

punishing the person that serves you makes you an asshole not a life pro.

maxmouze t1_ja6wzjx wrote

Are you supposed to tip at places where they just give you drinks like Starbucks? When they have a screen that lets you choose your tip on your $5 drink, I feel obligated but it seems weird given they usually just dispense something premade (at this boba place I just went to, etc.).

SpecificBig367 t1_ja6xh1q wrote

Judging by your post history, you need to work on your mental health before worrying about others. Stop trying to give opinions on countries that you aren’t even in. Why do you care so much if it doesn’t affect you? This is not a life pro tip and is more of you just being a shitty human being and trying to change some system that you don’t understand

No_Application5891 t1_ja6xwho wrote

If you believe this, please touch grass lol. If they had to pay a livable wage the $15 burger you scarf down with your $7 beer would quickly turn into a $25 burger and $12 beer to make it affordable for the restaurant to pay all of their servers and bartenders a livable wage. Tip your servers and Bartenders 20% and stop being cheap.

Timely_Victory_4680 t1_ja6yccd wrote

If you feel strongly about this, it is on you to seek out restaurants where employees are paid decently. They do exist, even in the US and Canada, and it’s on you to figure that out or eat at home.

FelixVulgaris t1_ja6yzz4 wrote

If you really care about this, then you as a consumer should boycott all restaurants that don't pay a living wage instead of stiffing the lowest paid workers on the totem pole of their gratuity.

Put your money where your mouth is unless you want to sound like a hypocrite

DiverseIncludeEquity t1_ja72eo4 wrote

But there isn’t even a standard within this adopted culture. One could say they always tip 20% no matter what but sometimes you might want to hook up your server with 35% because they absolutely killed it.

I also get where OP is coming from.

It’s true. There is no law that requires you to tip unless it’s part of the bill. In fact, nobody even tells you how much to tip let alone that you HAVE to tip before you leave. It’s a weird unspoken experience of having someone feel like they need to perform for you in some way in order to get more money from you.

It’s awful that there customers that will hold that tip over a servers head like they are their slave or jester while they visit the restaurant.

Studies show that the higher an hourly wage a server is paid, the less poor treatment they are willing to put up with.

So not only do we not pay these people that are literally serving us but they are more abused the less they get paid.

Tell me how that’s fair.

Dizraeli t1_ja76ar7 wrote

Sure, take from the poorest and the weakest.
No repercussions from them.

Feeling_Glonky69 t1_ja76q26 wrote

Look I agree it’s a dick move from a certain perspective. But real question here, how will tipping culture change without owners not being able to hire servers because they know they won’t get tipped anymore, and the owners won’t pay them, so they look for a job elsewhere?

I tip. But I’d like to discuss this never ending cycle. if we keep tipping, and then owners won’t do shit about increasing wages because we’re paying it.

Spongeman735 t1_ja77bzc wrote

LPT: don’t come to my country and be an asshole

Mezatino t1_ja78cws wrote

They’re not going to do it anyways. Unless legislation is passed to do away with Server pay, service industries will always use tipping culture to to save money.

No matter how many people stop working these jobs, someone will always pick it up because we live in a world where desperate people will always need to take what they get right now before risking their lives to get what they actually need.

So you want a real fix for the problem? Organize and lobby to your local representatives

Minifig81 t1_ja8z825 wrote

If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.