Submitted by keevesnchives t3_112hpnj in LifeProTips

My apartment community's parking garage has a huge problem with car break-ins. A friend of mine had his car window smashed twice within a month (I think it's cause his car is a Mercedes, I have a midrange Mazda) The problem got so bad that the city police has a patrol car with an officer parked overnight on the ground floor by the extrance/exit every day from 6PM to 6AM. Did it solve the problem? Apparently not, as 14 cars had their windows smashed during Super Bowl weekend, even with the police car present. So since my only option to park my car overnight is at this parking structure, I'd like to make myself less likely to be a victim of a car break-in. Of course I leave nothing in sight. I've also started to try to park my sedan between smaller cars instead of being shielded between large SUVs. Does anyone have any other tips? The garage is actually pretty well-lit throughout. Do you think it matters which floor I park on, whether it being close to the ground floor or higher up? Park farther away from the elevators/staircases? Should I back into a spot or park head-in? Thanks!

Comments