Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Fuehnix t1_japumtw wrote

The discord seems intimidatingly huge with 20k+ members, and 3000 online...

Is it really feasible to collaborate and communicate with the group?

I have a B.S. in CS+Linguistics from UIUC, but I had some life and financial complications that blocked me from grad school. I sorted those things out recently, but now I'm trying to find people to do NLP research with so I can be competitive when I apply for Fall 2024 in December.

I'm somewhere in between a senior CS student and first year grad student right now probably.

EricHallahan t1_jar9qm1 wrote

Yes, come on in! We do not expect contributors to devote massive amounts of time or go out of their way to contribute—they all have lives of their own, and we respect that.

As for collaboration, we make it work. Most communication is asynchronous text, which is quite versatile and hides varied schedules well.

xEdwin23x t1_jaq2p2q wrote

They have a list of projects and / or ideas pinned to some of their channels. If you want something to happen then you're expected to be pro-active and lead (or follow someone else who is leading); it's the only way this kind of collaboration can work. Tbf it's very hard to collaborate among people on different time zones with their own schedules but they somehow make it work.