Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

czl t1_jbn6rys wrote

> What would a better ethics system even mean?

You ask a good question. Much like language fosters communication to my non expert eyes ethics is an ideology with a protocol for behavior the purpose of which is to foster “group cohesion” / cooperation / trust / lower social transaction costs / reduction of exploitation / …

A langauge is best when communication is best yet there are many languages possible and what is most important that your language matches the language of your group and that when langauge changes that the changes are gradual so that langauge continues to be useful. I belive similar principles apply to ethics for the purpose ethics service.

Thus a better ethical system will be one that serves its purpose better. Machines can help us discover improvements to ethics because using machines we can simulate payoffs for various behavior strategies and these simulations can teach us valuable lessons. For example the discovery of:

>> Tit-for-tat has been very successfully used as a strategy for the iterated prisoner's dilemma. The strategy was first introduced by Anatol Rapoport in Robert Axelrod's two tournaments,[2] held around 1980. Notably, it was (on both occasions) both the simplest strategy and the most successful in direct competition.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_for_tat

Moreover since machines enable all to study ethcial protocols all can see which strategies work and which do not work and what the consequences are so there is the rational convergence towards what works as tends to happen in science vs natural fragmentation and polarization as trends to happen with non-science based beliefs (and their ethical systems).

I expect experts of ethics to challenge this non expert view so please do not hold back your criticism — but speak as if to a dummy so keep the jargon back and your explanations simple. I am here to be educated. Thank you!

WikiSummarizerBot t1_jbn6sxs wrote

Tit for tat

>Tit for tat is an English saying meaning "equivalent retaliation". It developed from "tip for tap", first recorded in 1558. It is also a highly effective strategy in game theory. An agent using this strategy will first cooperate, then subsequently replicate an opponent's previous action.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)