Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NoScallion2450 t1_jca8qxo wrote

What do you say so? For Google its probably peanuts in terms of cost. And there is a clear case for them to make that transfomers originated with them.

xEdwin23x t1_jca9kr0 wrote

OpenAI is not a small company either. It may be a "startup" but it's clearly backed by Microsoft and between those two there's probably quite a lot of patents that Google have used in the past too.

NoScallion2450 t1_jcaci1w wrote

Well that depends on whether OpenAI can prove Google is deriving commerical value from OpenAI's patented research. On the other hand for OpenAI, I can see a clear case of using idea from other labs (Google -- Attention is all you need)

But just to clarify, I am not on one side or either. Definitely a bit sad for AI research going forward. But would be interested in knowing how the landscape changes.

MrTacobeans t1_jcagwir wrote

I don't know anything about this side of AI but when it's boiled down it's fancy algorithms, can those be patented?

Maybe that's the driving force of the "open" nature of AI. An algorithm can't be patented but a product based on that can be. Kinda like how LAMBDA has the non-commercial license but if a community rebuilt it under a permissive license that'd be totally kosher.

This may be why openAI is being hush about their innovations because if it's published someone else can copy it without the legal woes.

The_frozen_one t1_jcb4t0y wrote

> Well that depends on whether OpenAI can prove Google is deriving commerical value from OpenAI's patented research.

That's not an issue, people make money due to patented technologies all the time. That's different from infringing on a patent. Either way, it would be an incredibly messy battle. Google invented the T in GPT, I can't imagine Google doesn't have a deep AI patent portfolio.