Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WildlifePhysics t1_jdyzon6 wrote

There are a lot of ways to get involved in advancing research beyond generating your own foundational models. Do what others don't.

tysam_and_co t1_je8wno6 wrote

This will be one of the key things that I think will keep people up and going in their respective subfields. Perhaps not ironically at all, DougDoug, a popular YT creator has a great video on how to be a content creator that I find to be pretty exceptional and well-targeted to the current state of ML research, including some unique strategies on how to pick a unique fusion that only the person doing the researching is able to compete well in (while still contributing somewhat to the field), if one assumes that the research or software created is content that people might want

It's helped me as a researcher in producing research, I've recommended it to a number of people, and he just won a decently-sized award recognizing him doing in the way he's doing it. May not seem at all related but it has been one of the best guidebooks so far for me, and it has not failed me quite yet.