Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

_Arsenie_Boca_ t1_irx86or wrote

I see your point but I wouldnt see it too pessimistically. If anything the not-so-open policy of OpenAI has lead to many initiatives that aim to demcratize AI. If they decide to go commercial as well, others will take their place.

freezelikeastatue t1_irx9anz wrote

Agreed and I think what the civilian developer core has done in spite of OpenAIs promise of OPEN AI is a testament. But we cannot forget invention, patents, and capitalism. We’re early in understanding just what this technology does but we as individuals don’t have the computational resources capitalistic organizations do. The models that are out now and freely available are so fucking lucrative, its not even funny. If one were so inclined, which I am, you can develop software without one software developer. Simple code yes but multiple instances of simplicity compounded becomes quite complex. And wouldn’t you agree that building a software system is best when done incrementally and object oriented?

_Arsenie_Boca_ t1_irxaphg wrote

While I am optimistic about the open-ness of AI, I am much more pessimistic regarding its capabilities. I dont believe AI could replace a team of software engineers anytime soon.

visarga t1_irzod3c wrote

Not a whole team, not even a whole job, but plenty of tasks can be automated. By averaging over many developers there is a cumulative impact.

But on the other hand software has been cannibalising itself for 70 years and we're still accelerating, there's always space at the top.