Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Confused_Electron OP t1_ith9v0e wrote

I admit my reading skills are sub-par. I tend to re-read sentences multiple times because it doesn't stick to my memory. So I try to fully comprehend before moving on otherwise I tend to get lost due to snowballing.

I'm trying to follow this to decide which papers I should fully read so I'm doing only the first pass (abstract+intro+conclusion).

IluvitarTheAinur t1_ithdfmo wrote

The mutiple pass approach is good, but it would help to dynamically switch between passes when you get stuck somewhere or just mark where you are stuck till the next pass.

The first pass will leave you with more questions than answers, your job is to judge whether the questions are interesting enough for the next pass.

Confused_Electron OP t1_itherrh wrote

>dynamically switch

Do you mean to move on to second pass if I get stuck on first?

IluvitarTheAinur t1_ithfdpj wrote

yep

Confused_Electron OP t1_ithfohm wrote

That would take too much of my time tho. For example I don't need to know the specifics of the papers I'm reading currently.. Broad ideas are enough for me.

IluvitarTheAinur t1_ithgfs2 wrote

Then you have to make peace with not understanding all the phrases but only the gist of the problem the paper is tackling.

If you are interested enough in a question to ask on a forum, it might be a better idea to go through the paper in the second pass first.

Reading papers, at least initially is slow and hard, but you will pick up pace and learn to navigate it with enough effort.