Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

master3243 t1_iuzrd2n wrote

> In the US AI created art can't be covered by copyright

What? Literally the answer was one google search away

Kashtanova obtained a US copyright on the art compiled into 18-pages which was created by Midjourney

Sources:

Artist receives first known US copyright registration for latent diffusion AI art

A New York Artist Claims to Have Set a Precedent by Copyrighting Their A.I.-Assisted Comic Book. But the Law May Not Agree

yaosio t1_iv0xirt wrote

mgostIH t1_iv1fosb wrote

If you'd look at any of the articles before stopping to the title you'd understand that's what referred to "AIs work can't be copywritten" is that you can't attribute copyright to the artificial intelligence itself, but all of these judgements allow any human that puts any minimal effort into the generation (for example typing the prompt) to own the copyright for the image instead.

yaosio t1_iv1krc6 wrote

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/us-copyright-office-rules-ai-art-cant-be-copyrighted-180979808/

>The U.S. Copyright Office (USCO) once again rejected a copyright request for an A.I.-generated work of art, the Verge’s Adi Robertson reported last month. A three-person board reviewed a request from Stephen Thaler to reconsider the office’s 2019 ruling, which found his A.I.-created image “lacks the human authorship necessary to support a copyright claim.

AI created work can not be copywritten because a human must author it. If you want to copyright AI created work then you'll need to get the laws changed.

mgostIH t1_iv1mz53 wrote

The act of prompting the AI for the generation of the image is what grants you authorship of the latter.