Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Zer01123 t1_iv2lvf4 wrote

training throughput/$ seems off, in my opinion, by taking the official prices instead of the street prices:

​

• the 3090 is around 1.1k € in Germany/Europe
  • the 4090 is around 2.3k € in Germany/Europe

​

With those numbers, I don't think the 4090 can beat the 3090 in price to performance.

The 4090 would need have double the performance to the 3090 to make it worth it.

​

But interesting to see the performance of multiple gpus scaling

suflaj t1_iv2z6fz wrote

Just a small correction: according to Geizhals RTX 4090 is 2030€, and 3090 is 1150€. So the 4090 would at this point need to be around 176% as powerful, but the prices of the 4090 will fall and of the 3090 will rise, so the comparison on the MSRP makes sense, since that is more stable than street prices.

bellyflop111 t1_iv40ead wrote

Don’t forget it consumes more power so the performance increase needs to account for that

suflaj t1_iv5iar6 wrote

That would be another metric, something like performance per watt per dollar, which is not included in the benchmark, and which is probably uninteresting to people, since then cards like 3060 would come out ahead.

−1

zaphdingbatman t1_iv5ok40 wrote

So long as MSRP continues to be more fantasy than reality, I am not interested in seeing it in comparisons. I will become interested only after it becomes reality again. It might be a while.

suflaj t1_iv5prfi wrote

That's on you tbh

I don't think it's very scientific to judge properties of a card based on the whim of an unregulated agent. That way we could conclude that ancient cards, which are basically worthless, are the best.

But other than that I don't think there's a single person who would recommend anything other than a 3090 even before these benchmarks. Same situation as 1080Ti vs 2080Ti, the 3090 is just too good of a card.

killver t1_iv2t4ll wrote

Yeah, not sure where they get this conclusion from.

nmkd t1_iv3miyj wrote

4090 starts at 1950€ here in Germany

chatterbox272 t1_iv3tw2v wrote

Street prices vary over time and location. For example, I have zero issues getting a 4090 at RRP where I am in Australia. Using RRP for comparisons makes the comparisons more universal and evergreen.

If you're considering a new GPU you'll need to know the state of your local market, so you can take the findings from Lambda, apply some knowledge about your local market (e.g. 4090s are actually 1.5x RRP right now where you are, or whatever), and then you can redraw your own conclusions. Alternatively, if they were using "street prices" I'd also have to know the state of their local market (wherever that happens to be) at the time of writing (whenever that happens to be), then work out the conversion from their market to mine.

chuanli11 t1_ivhlelj wrote

We used the recommended retail price from NVIDIA but OMG they are expensive on the street Lol