Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BossOfTheGame t1_j0wk7nk wrote

Voicing that you're upset about virtue signaling is virtue signaling. Just want to make that hypocrisy clear.

But while I'm here, I'll acknowledge where you are correct. The authoritarian government in China is committing genocide. Not really sure what your point is.

WokeAssBaller t1_j0wlgfj wrote

Ah so there is no way to criticize virtue signaling without you yourself virtue signaling.

Thanks for the dumb comment of the day

BossOfTheGame t1_j0wmvrm wrote

Yeah basically, because criticizing virtue signaling IS dumb.

You can't criticize someone for expressing what they believe. That's ridiculous.

You criticize someone for the belief. You tell them why what they believe is wrong, not that the expression itself is wrong.

Note, I wasn't saying you were wrong to virtue signal. I was just telling you that criticizing it is literally self-contradictory. It doesn't leave any room open for discussion, you're basically just telling someone to shut up. While you can do that, don't trick yourself into thinking that you're saying anything of value.

WokeAssBaller t1_j0wo4yt wrote

Such an insane point of view, yeah you can’t criticize virtue signaling without virtue signaling….

Again the dumbest thing I’ve seen on Reddit today and that says a lot.

Try and use common sense rather than arguing yourself in a circle

BossOfTheGame t1_j0xe0q1 wrote

Are you not signaling something that you value?

• You think that it's bad character to express a believe that demonstrates one's own good character or moral superiority.

• Someone expresses a belief that they believe demonstrates good character.

• You expressed an opinion and deride them by calling what they did virtue signaling.

• This serves to signal to other like-minded folks of your own good character or moral superiority.

Oh wait, does it only count if it's an opinion you disagree with? Oh ok... well you probably don't think of it like that... you wouldn't be able to feel superior and like you could call someone stupid if it was like that...

Let me sum it up for you with an example:

• Hypocritical: "Alice expresses to your Bob that people who hang pride flags are assholes because they virtue signal"
  • Consistent: "Alice expresses to your Bob that people who hang pride flags are assholes because it makes her feel uncomfortable" or she thinks it sexualizes the children or some shit like that.

Say what you mean: don't hide behind that "virtue signaling is wrong" crap. If you are doing something that is morally correct, then you should be promoting it. Say why you think whatever they are "virtue signaling" is wrong.