Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pridkett t1_j292fr1 wrote

I used one of the codes to start poking around (X6RPT3HALW6R). I was optimistic about it working with M1/M2 Macs too. Downloaded the iPad version onto my M2 iPad Air and started a query and it crashed after I clicked to have it start indexing the photos.

Currently playing with it on my iPhone. Seems really neat. Would be great if there were a way to synchronize the indexes across devices through iCloud (or even iCloud drive).

I've had similar thoughts but doing something with X-CLIP to search the videos on your phone for when you're looking for a specific video (I take a lot of short videos of my family).

RingoCatKeeper OP t1_j293hgk wrote

It's an interesting idea to synchronize the indexes for different devices, however anything related with network connection is a disaster of an app that reads all you photos. Maybe there exists a better way to do this.

On the issue of running on M2, I'll check it out later.

Your project sounds interesting, please get me noticed when there is a product.

pridkett t1_j296ivt wrote

That's why I was suggesting just saving the index to iCloud files. You're not providing the synchronization nor do you need to provide servers to handle more people. The data stay secure in iCloud.

I also want to add that I really like how you've managed to do this in a way that is privacy centric. It also has a nice side effect of making things much more scalable - you just need to provide someplace to download the models, which are infrequently needed (likely only on a new device)?

1995FOREVER t1_j29aokh wrote

So you trust icloud now?

pridkett t1_j2bigzy wrote

I trust iCloud a whole lot more than I trust a random service to store my content. I also trust iCloud more than Google Drive. I also have all my photos in iCloud - so yes, I trust iCloud.

dat_cosmo_cat t1_j2a3t0o wrote

> the data stay secure in iCloud

Lmao. Dude really missed the entire point of the project.