Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j3ceeux wrote

[deleted]

trnka t1_j3g5f4a wrote

Yeah that's pretty common. If you'd like to do more machine learning, as your team and company grows you might try asking your boss to hire more SDEs so that you can spend more time with machine learning. Or alternatively, ask for more training so that the backend engineering goes more quickly.

As for "keeping up with the field", I don't recommend worrying about it. It's challenging, maybe impossible, to actually stay up to date on everything even if it's only ML. I find it's better to make a habit of learning something every day, however small, and focus on the growth aspect rather than some sense of "falling behind".

[deleted] t1_j3hj2h0 wrote

[deleted]

trnka t1_j3i2zxx wrote

You don't need to choose, and there's definitely a market for people that are capable of both good software engineering and good machine learning. Personally I'm a big believer in being well-rounded in terms of skills.

If I had to guess, what you're saying might just mean that you have more to learn about software engineering than machine learning right now. And that'll change over time.