Submitted by fdis_ t3_1017bbr in MachineLearning

Hey guys!

I recently published a website containing machine-learning illustrations! They aim to be "that" resource on which you can rely whenever you need to brush-up on these topics (e.g. technical interviews, exams, or whatever).

https://illustrated-machine-learning.github.io/

Other than just spamming the link, I was curious to receive some feedbacks about the website and the illustrations. šŸ˜

I really struggled to find a valid single resource anytime I need something across different topics, therefore my ambition is to create it!

Update:

Examples of illustrations are:

Update 2.0

Thank you for your feedbacks! I already (brutally) solved your main concern about the list of contests not visible. I will spend more time on it as soon as I can, in order to make it smoother and better!

Update 3.0

Prooobably I finally understood your problems with the sidebar button, and I tried to make more visible by making it darker and bigger. Is that better now?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

alwayslttp t1_j2m1m7l wrote

I've tapped every conceivable place on the page on mobile and I can't find a list of illustrations? Or any single illustration?

Is my brain broken?

fdis_ OP t1_j2m1r3n wrote

Oh, that's strange. Are you sure you tapped on "Machine Learning"?I don't know if the black background may confuse and doesn't seem as a button.

Or even worse, the side bar button is not visible enough? šŸ˜…

Updated: FIXED!

DigThatData t1_j2m3iw7 wrote

you should reorder sections and nesting so the major book sections each appear in the sidebar instead of "references" and "todo". it's bad enought the user has to click on anything to reveal the table of contents, but hiding it behind "machine learning" makes it two clicks deep. there's no reason for that.

fdis_ OP t1_j2m43xd wrote

That's really useful feedback. I will work on that as soon as possible. Thank you man, appreciate that!

alwayslttp t1_j2m41ev wrote

When I tapped the side menu, machine learning had a grey background so I assumed I was on the "machine learning" page already, so I didn't click it. I now see it reveals a long submenu of the illustrations.

I agree with others that are saying it's too hidden away!

I'd just add a list of them to the index page I think.

fdis_ OP t1_j2m4czm wrote

Got it, thank you for your followup! I guess I have to work more on the UX šŸ˜‚

copofteashirt t1_j2p0y06 wrote

You should increase the touch target / visible area for the hamburger menu on top left!! I had to zoom in a lot on my phone before I was able to open the menu as nothing would happen at 100% (standard) zoom lmao

Other than that, Iā€™m still looking around but it seems pretty cool! Good job šŸ‘

fdis_ OP t1_j2quwsb wrote

Noted, I wil try to increase that asap, thank you man!

Nabugu t1_j2mjt64 wrote

DUDE you can't say that!!! You brain is very well functioning okay??? šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜

PrinceLeai21 t1_j2m0xat wrote

Really helpful. Wish there were more visual guides on complex topics like this and this... https://jalammar.github.io/illustrated-stable-diffusion/

fdis_ OP t1_j2m1951 wrote

Thank you for your feedback, I am happy you find it useful! Anyway, I agree with you, his illustrations are absolutely great!

In fact, I was planning to add a new section only about "papers", and complex topics as you suggested. šŸš€

IKnowLogic t1_j2m9ma5 wrote

Thank you, OP, for your hard work; I will give it a read!

fdis_ OP t1_j2m9xhs wrote

Thank you so much, appreciate that!

NimbleZazo t1_j2mmfs3 wrote

I just took a gander and it seems like a really nice refresher and a quick reference. Thanks for the effort OP. The only suggestion is font choice. Right now the font is a bit fancy looking and I rather read a common font like Times New Roman that is easier on the eye. Not sure you can do anything about it tho.

fdis_ OP t1_j2movji wrote

Thank you for your suggestion! The font was actually one of my concerns.. Thanks for pointing it out! I really like it because, as you said, it is kind of "fancy", but it surely make the readability worse

I will probably wait for some other feedbacks with respect to the font, just to see if it a generalized thing

Itchy-Depth-5076 t1_j2naj62 wrote

This is fantastic, great work! Will bookmark and star on GitHub.

To add my 2 cents to the font question: I actually really like the casual font, but can see where it could be a bit much, especially when the equations suddenly stand out in normal fonts. Maybe everything in the boxes in a normal font, everything outside and in drawings in the casual font?

fdis_ OP t1_j2nbxec wrote

It can be definitely an idea, I am going to think about it, thank you!

tmthyln t1_j2nkqg6 wrote

If you do end up changing it, I would not recommend a serif font like Times New Roman if you're intending on keeping this as a website. There's research showing that serif fonts are worse for the reader when on digital media (whereas it's good for print media).

I definitely personally like the handwritten style of the font, but I guess some might feel it's too fancy.

fdis_ OP t1_j2nmmkz wrote

Well, that's actually the point! Honestly I do prefer to handwritten too, but I am afraid many people don't.. That's why I am waiting for more and more feedbacks about it. Anyway, thank you for your feedback! :D

nmfisher t1_j2m18rs wrote

Came for illustrations generated by an ML model, left disappointed.

In all seriousness, these are quite good. Kudos :)

fdis_ OP t1_j2m1dgc wrote

ahahahahah ops, I didn't mean to have a clickbait title šŸ˜‚

Thank you, appreciate that!

Jwyatt09 t1_j2mzh7k wrote

This is awesome! Great work I will definitely use this as a reference

fdis_ OP t1_j2n0ma4 wrote

Thank you man!! I you find that really useful and if you'll use that as a reference, I would really appreciate it if you could leave a star on the repository to help others find it as well. Thanks! šŸš€

cmauck10 t1_j2n5vrx wrote

These look great! I love the sketch-like feeling of all the text and drawings. Did you write/draw everything by hand?

nickkon1 t1_j2n623p wrote

While it looks visually appealing, I think that it is hard to read which makes it more difficult to understand.

fdis_ OP t1_j2n6n0j wrote

You're the second one who told me that, I'll surely take it under consideration! Thank you for your feedback, appreciate that!

airelfacil t1_j2nb0n1 wrote

Looks great! Minor nitpick, "Dimensionality Reduction" is mispelled on /machine-learning/categorization.html.

EDIT: Also, categprozation on /machine-learning/ensemble.html. And Duplicating Bagging when one should be "Boosting".

fdis_ OP t1_j2nc3m3 wrote

Upss, thank you so much for reporting the mistakes, appreciate that!

dontnormally t1_j2nn3r4 wrote

Perhaps I am dull today, but how do I actually navigate your site? I went to https://illustrated-machine-learning.github.io/ and there is a single image and no way I can tell for how to see more.

edit: I see I'm not the only one confused here. I'm on desktop with a browser. I see no side bar and I only see links to the github page. The one image I see (other than the header) says "Let's open the black box!".

edit 2: I finally found the sidebar menu. It's very hard to see. I think it should probably just not exist, and the contents should just always be visible, at least for desktop browser.

edit 3: The site does not play well with Dark Reader or other methods of forcing websites to be in dark mode. Unfortunately to use the site I have to disable Dark Reader, which makes it hard to use the site.

edit 4: Neat resource, thanks! It took some effort to get into it and my critiques are only to do with that barrier to entry; the resource itself is very cool.

fdis_ OP t1_j2nvyn5 wrote

Many thanks for your feedback! Well, probably it makes sense to leave the sidebar open for the desktop.

I cannot actually understand how "difficult" is to see the navigation button. Which screen size do you have it? I noticed that it is small for a mobile phone and I need to fix it, but in both 13" and 27" I am able to see that clearly! šŸ¤”

Then, I also thought about Night mode, but it may be a problem with all the colors of the drawings, therefore it may be hard to overcome.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback, appreciate that! I hope you'll find these illustrations useful šŸ˜

fdis_ OP t1_j2ny31m wrote

This is what I see on my two screens:

// I'm not a web dev, I am trying my best šŸ˜…

dontnormally t1_j2od2ym wrote

> // I'm not a web dev, I am trying my best šŸ˜…

you're doing good! you have a cool site that people are going to and some people are struggling to use; that's a lot better than most other problems

that said, both of those image links are 404ing for me lol

fdis_ OP t1_j2qv1rf wrote

Thank you! Anyway, I realized that maybe the button was not that much visible. Therefore I increased it in height and font-weight. Now I guess (and I hope) it more visible

jimmythenouna t1_j2oxnrg wrote

The way it delivered is much helpful for me to reinforce ML (and others) concepts understanding. I will get this page bookmarked and keep an eye for update.

fdis_ OP t1_j2qv7su wrote

Thank you very much, I'm glad to hear that!! If you think it may be useful also for other people, it would be helpful to leave a star or share it with some friends in AI! šŸš€

t3hPieGuy t1_j2rmo2z wrote

Very good effort. I've noticed a few grammatical mistakes here and there though. Would it be possible for me to contribute as a proofreader to your project?

fdis_ OP t1_j2rt1rn wrote

Absolutely yes, it would be very appreciated! You may report these mistakes by opening an issue on GitHub or sending us your review on our social (you can find them on the website).

Far-Butterscotch-436 t1_j2nb2qb wrote

Maybe explain the gblinear version of xgboost? You only explained gbtree

fdis_ OP t1_j2ncd1f wrote

Good point, noted, thank you so much!