Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lieutenant_Joe t1_jdqc5yg wrote

Used to be that canucks from the maritimes would always go to the Bangor Mall or elsewhere in Bangor, but the mall is rapidly becoming a ghost town. If you’re okay with adding 2+ hours (one way) to your trip, then you can go to Freeport for clothes, the Old Port in Portland for antiques and doodads, and the South Portland Mall for literally everything except groceries. If you’re not cool doing that, downtown Bangor is like the Old Port. Just smaller.

If you go to Freeport for outdoor wear, don’t buy the boot that looks like the giant one outside the big L.L. bean building. The design hasn’t been updated in like 70 years.

TRBullMoose1912 t1_jdqibfn wrote

The bean boot doesn’t need an update, it’s iconic. If you want a newer boot just get a pair of Keen boots or something. The bean boot is still a pretty solid and great looking boot.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_jdqkc4m wrote

It looks good, but if you actually want to use it for hiking or fishing, there are significantly better quality and value options right inside the store. Some of them are even Bean made

TRBullMoose1912 t1_jdqkh6b wrote

That’s fairly obvious, and It can hold its own if you don’t push it too much, main obstacle is traction but I’ve had to bushwhack in a pair once and they didn’t do to bad.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_jdqkskn wrote

Point is, it’s not really worth it unless you’re a fan of the aesthetic.

Which… admittedly, is hard to beat.

Lobstaman t1_jdqh720 wrote

There’s a reason it hasn’t been updated, it’s perfect.

Guygan t1_jdqj286 wrote

> the South Portland Mall for literally everything except groceries

There are supermarkets near the Maine Mall.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_jdqk7rg wrote

Yeah but they’re not inside of the mall

Also, I don’t imagine this person is gonna drive down from Canada for groceries

−3

hike_me t1_jdr1305 wrote

I literally saw a bus load of Canadian shoppers stop at the Hannaford in Brewer while I was grocery shopping one time.

Before the mall really went to hell, there would be multiple bus tours of shoppers from Canada in Bangor every week. Some would actually make a stop at a grocery store.