Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

New_Sun6390 t1_jcufj0c wrote

Implied warranty does not supercede the product warranty or imply a lifetime warranty . Its only purpose is to give consumers protection that a washing machine will wash, a heater will heat, a toaster will toast, air fryer will fry, etc., out of the package.

Your air fryer is three years old. Ease stop wasting taxpayer resources trying to get something you are not entitled to.

−78

fffangold t1_jcugxc6 wrote

The Maine implied warranty says it needs to be fit for purpose for at least four years, or the expected lifetime of the product if it's reasonable that the expected lifetime is shorter. I would absolutely expect an air fryer to last at least four years. Hell, I'd expect it to last 10 to 20 years - kitchen appliances don't break easily and should work for a very long time.

Since OP's air fryer won't turn on, they are entitled to relief from the manufacturer or seller, whichever OP prefers to go through.

Also, the seller or manufacturer can not disclaim the Maine implied warranty. If you purchase it in Maine, you, the purchaser, get to choose the warranty most beneficial to you.

New_Sun6390 t1_jcui71a wrote

"... or the expected lifetime of the product.."

I just replaced a 40 year old coffee maker and have zero expectations that the replacement will not last nearly as long. Cuz they don't make things like they used to.

I wish the OP good luck but they are wasting taxpayer resources.

−72

fffangold t1_jcuindb wrote

That isn't the argument. The argument is the product will last a reasonable amount of time, not the same amount of time as another product.

Maine law says that is at least four years in most cases (or at least provides protection for that long.) OP isn't wasting taxpayer resources - they are asking for something they are entitled to under Maine law.

Assuming you purchased it in Maine, if your new coffee maker breaks before four years have passed, you are also entitled to have the seller or manufacturer repair or replace it free of charge.

Yourbubblestink t1_jcuwxkd wrote

This is why LL Bean had to become more strict in its policies - shoppers develop unrealistic expectations. 3 years of service from a cheap $70 air fryer, which is just plastic, a fan, a printed circuit board, a heating element and a plug is pretty good. IMHO.

−34

fffangold t1_jcvcpfk wrote

No, LL Bean had what was an incredibly generous, ludicrously good return policy. They would take literally anything they sold back, after any length of time, for any reason and exchange or upgrade it. Even if the issue was the fault of the purchaser.

The Maine implied warranty is far less than what LL Bean offered, and is fairly standard, what you should be able to expect from goods you purchase.

NPC_Bae t1_jcvfej9 wrote

I just wanted to say you’re a champ for continuing to acknowledge these complete dolts. I hope you sleep well tonight.

fffangold t1_jcw2izp wrote

I'll be sleeping well for sure. I just don't want anyone scared away from trying to use the warranty because someone had the idea that it was stealing resources from Mainers or their reason wasn't good enough. I love the Maine warranty, and think more people should make use of it when it applies.

cepheus42 t1_jcv1gki wrote

> wasting taxpayer resources

No they are not. The resources are in place exactly for this purpose.

dartyfrog t1_jcve5pc wrote

Bootlicker energy fr

Antnee83 t1_jd2du4z wrote

I honestly don't understand people who think like this. It blows my mind.

A-roguebanana t1_jcveada wrote

I think there are enough examples to prove you are wrong

New_Sun6390 t1_jcwc2pc wrote

>think there are enough examples to prove you are wrong

Okay I stand corrected. My apologies to the Reddit universe for thinking the the implied warranty law was not all-powerful. Curious to see what OP's experience is with their air fryer claim. I guess I should have saved the receipt for my $27 Mr Coffee from Walmart for when it fails.

−4

iglidante t1_jd3bpto wrote

>I guess I should have saved the receipt for my $27 Mr Coffee from Walmart for when it fails.

Even if you don't personally care about your $27 coffee maker, we all benefit from fewer products ending up in the landfill a handful of years after they were purchased.

baphosam t1_jcvoqa2 wrote

How the fuck are they “wasting taxpayer resources”? It’s not like OP is trying to sue the state.

SyntheticCorners28 t1_jcw4cx5 wrote

Would you expect it to last 4 years? I would and that is what the law states. You sound bitter as fuck.

iglidante t1_jd3bipt wrote

> I just replaced a 40 year old coffee maker and have zero expectations that the replacement will not last nearly as long. Cuz they don't make things like they used to.

While that is true, no new consumer electronic should be failing inside 4 years. The company selling such poor quality merchandise is the one wasting taxpayer resources.

FlappyKillmore OP t1_jcugd27 wrote

https://www.maine.gov/ag/consumer/law_guide_article.shtml?id=27922

“Maine’s implied warranty of merchantability applies automatically to any new or used consumer product for up to 4 years from the date of purchase, depending on the product’s “useful life” (life expectancy). For example, you purchase a highly rated food processor that comes with a 2-year express warranty, but your warranty protection doesn’t end after 2 years. Assuming proper care, the food processor should last for at least 4 years, which is the length of its implied warranty of merchantability.5 If the useful life of the food processor is more than 4 years, the length of its implied warranty is still 4 years, which is the upper limit of time for any implied warranty of merchantability. If a product’s useful life is less than 4 years, the implied warranty for that product is the length of its useful life. For example, a soccer ball that you played with every day is probably at the end of its useful life when, 2 years after you bought it, it won’t inflate anymore. The length of the implied warranty for the soccer ball is 2 years.”

MosskeepForest t1_jcuhegn wrote

At first I was going to say "3 years? never gonna happen!".

But yea, you might be right. I hope you win! It's silly things can't even last the basic 4 years anymore.

FlappyKillmore OP t1_jcufq9q wrote

Maine state law says the Implied warranty is for 4 years, is it not? If it were just “out of the box” they would not have a reason for it whereas most every manufacturer has a 1 year warranty.

Who wants an appliance or electronic to last 3 years?