Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lieutenant_Joe t1_iubd4bi wrote

I doubt they’re sorry. I wouldn’t be.

You were one of two comments who responded to me at the same time, and I immediately started arguing with you while immediately relenting with the other person because you said something that annoyed me: “we’re all neighbors here.”

When I was growing up, one of the people I rode the bus with was a self-proclaimed white nationalist. Still is one, last I checked, which was a few months ago. I moved within that town at one point and got new neighbors, but one of those was a family of Californians who hate anyone who isn’t like them and have logged to erasure a public trail system on private property in the town after buying the property from the old, infirm lady who used to own it.

Do not ask me to be pleased about calling nationalistic xenophobes my “neighbors”. Those people don’t want us to exist, man.

TraditionalPiccolo28 t1_iubf14v wrote

I never did ask you to call them neighbors. I'm sorry I triggered you it wasn't meant that way. I have heard people tell my mother to go back to her own country. I've been talked to in gibberish that's supposed to sound spanish because I supposedly look more like a Puerto Rican than I do Asian. I understand where you're coming from. I'm still gonna say that we don't need to bring up these emotions in each other based on a question about snow, though. I am truly sorry for triggering you.

Lieutenant_Joe t1_iubfopi wrote

You’re fine. I’m just sick of the “we’re all in this together” line. Sure, that might be true, but some people are trying to throw others off the raft based entirely on what they were born as rather than who they’ve become. I desperately wish those people weren’t in here with the rest of us. It fuckin sucks.

TraditionalPiccolo28 t1_iubk9yk wrote

I agree wholeheartedly. I still honestly think "the rest of us" are the majority but the others are just louder and more crude. Believe me, I'm definitely an ally in the fight against racism, classim, bigotry and misogyny. I hope you have a nice evening. I am truly sorry I brought those emotions back to you.