Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Financial_Employ627 t1_ir6ngw9 wrote

What do you guys know about Hunkler? Dude wasn’t eloquent, and I was pretty disappointed in that because I liked what parts of his ideas he was able to speak out.

gracelandcat t1_ir7lc7w wrote

I liked what he said about raising the mil rate and the homestead exemption and that the way we deal with opioid abuse is just replacing one addiction with another. I'm guessing he may not have had much experience speaking in front of lights and cameras, so I'm going to wait and see what he says in the next debates before I pass judgement. I just really would like to be able to have a viable third party candidate.

Financial_Employ627 t1_ir7qp7z wrote

Totally agree here. Those are some of his best points to me as well, but I think you hit the nail on the head for public speaking experience. I like him a lot though, and he seems committed mostly to working together for the common good of Maine, which is what I think all of the US needs more of.

gracelandcat t1_ir7yc5l wrote

Yes, let's see how the next debates go. His web page and FB page are both very interesting.

_Schneebley t1_ir8311k wrote

I don't think it wasn't that he wasn't a polished public speaker, he didn't show any depth of knowledge in terms of policy or public service.

It's easy to go up there and be like "we need more jobs, we need better schools, we need more programs" but that's just feel good blanket talking points. The only time he broke the mold was bringing up raising the Mill Rate & mentioned the Homestead Exemption, but the raising the mill rate is a) unpopular because you're putting bigger stress on local funding of the budget and b) likely illegal to manipulate because it can be legally argued as discrimination. That and Mills and LePage also already said they agreed with the homestead exemption. See Janet Mill's policy here.

I think people get starry eyed for having more "common" people work in high public offices, but in practicality you're mostly putting an underqualified person into a very important public service role that needs a much higher understanding of how public policy works.