Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Solar_Saves t1_iudu9xy wrote

A good sturdy pressure treated wooden structure that is secured usually works. That way it can only be uncovered with power tools, in case you might need the water at some point in the future. You could dress it up with an old fashioned wishing well type structure over the secured cover… Beyond that, how much are you willing to spend?

pinetreesandcake OP t1_iudum6t wrote

Well, from googling around on the internet, looks like you're supposed to fill them in rather than just covering them up - but I imagine that can get pretty expensive. One estimate said up to $12,000 so. Yikes.

Solar_Saves t1_iudvrgq wrote

If you decide to cover and not fill, make sure it is well marked or that the cover won’t get grown over so that it gets lost for someone years from now to find it by chance. Turn the cover area into a planter, bench or something that won’t disappear under overgrowth…

Shilo788 t1_iuf2bl0 wrote

That is crazy money. How deep is it? They usually aren't that deep at all and like they said cheaper to cover it and then make use of it if needed later on.

pinetreesandcake OP t1_iuf5ayy wrote

I don't know how deep it is yet. Needs more investigation. We just found it today. I'm guessing that's an extreme case to cost so much.