Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Runnah5555 t1_iycsxy8 wrote

You apply, pay a fee and boom, you’re a “best place” to work.

It’s a scam

Asleep_Gate_8229 t1_iydsx40 wrote

It’s pay-to-play. Employee surveys establish ranking, but you pay Maine Biz to participate.

Walter_J_Bro t1_iyd8a2n wrote

It has to be because I was shocked to see one of the places I worked for a brief time on this list. Aside from a small management team that had been there for years and years, the place was a revolving door for staff. It was chaotic, there was no training, and the job had a really bad work / life balance. After a few months of trying to teach myself how to write code using google (I am not an analyst or developer) I asked when I would start doing the job they brought me in to do, and I was told that it would not be happening anytime in the foreseeable future, so I quit.

RDLAWME t1_iyd68ru wrote

Having worked at one of the "best places". They send surveys to all employees. We are told the results are based on the survey feedback and response rate.

crookdmouth t1_iydnkjv wrote

Thats how Hammond Lumber got on there, I'm sure. I know a few people that work or have worked there and their managers seem to be toxic. It has to come down from the top.

gunksmtn1216 t1_iye0sx6 wrote

Whattttt you mean working 6 days a week with 5 days off a year shouldn’t be on the best place list lol

bigspoutwhale867 t1_iyf5hkz wrote

Much like B Corps, as far as I’ve experienced thus far. It’s all about branding, marketing, and public perception. Don’t get me wrong, the whole B Corp thing means well, but it’s only a few steps above Best Places to Work