Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LumpyBumpyToad t1_iy2x623 wrote

If I show up for the Lobstermen will they start showing up for everyone else?

For example... probably time to figure out climate change is real and stop right-wing denying that shit.

New-Work-139 t1_iy4wllq wrote

I don’t blame them necessarily, it’s a hard life, but I can’t think of many groups of people less likely to do what you’re asking than lobstermen. They are an extremely cantankerous and provincial lot. And the decline of the industry has worsened it. People are starting to realize the price of lobster just isn’t worth it, not when a jar of tomato sauce costs more than $10

JimBones31 t1_iy85rsn wrote

Wait, what jars of tomato sauce cost more than $10?

I was following along until you shattered reality.

New-Work-139 t1_iy867u1 wrote

I saw a jar of tomato sauce (12 oz) for $13.50 at Hannafords yesterday. It was an organic one, but only the store brand jars and Prego that weren’t $10 or just under it.

JimBones31 t1_iy86ntj wrote

Holy smokes, have you considered not buying jars?

Here's a can of name brand tomato sauce for <$2

New-Work-139 t1_iy86u4f wrote

Yeah we make our own sauce now. But it just goes to show how expensive food has gotten.

JimBones31 t1_iy87ktn wrote

Maybe it's because I never had much growing up but I've always shopped for stuff based on the best deal and I probably would never noticed jarred tomato sauce prices because I'm so used to adding spices and stuff

New-Work-139 t1_iy15h7b wrote

It’s more complicated than most people think. The fishing industry in Maine does quite a lot to suppress reporting when they damage wildlife and it’s hard to know who to blame otherwise. Basically it’s all the honor system and everyone has an agenda, so it’s really hard to trust the limited data out there.

With that said, let’s be real. There’s no way that concentration of motor activity and trapping isn’t doing at least some damage to parts of the ecosystem - and in the ocean, pretty much all species are ultimately interdependent through a web of predator / prey / symbiotic relationships.

[deleted] t1_iy189de wrote

[deleted]

New-Work-139 t1_iy4w0ty wrote

I don’t disagree with you but it’s not a good reason to deregulate the lobster industry. It’s just a reminder that there are other industries that require more oversight as well.

cepheus42 t1_iy2vsrr wrote

Innocent until proven guilty. And right now, zero research has proven the lobster industry is guilty of the crime of killing right whales. Period. You don't punish someone for things you haven't shown are true, but simply because they won't comply with the rules you made up in the total absence of any evidence they would correct a problem that is occurring somewhere else.

−2

Beasagdeux t1_iy3uggf wrote

The lobstermen refused to put stripes on their lines so that it would be proved who was killing the whales.

It's easy to say there is no evidence if you refuse to allow an investigation.

Much like Gun or MJ research. If you outlaw it and refuse to cooperate... then you will never see a study that disagrees with you.

trg802 t1_iy3fsns wrote

I totally understand the frustration from the lobstermen. But isn't there clearly a problem if one retailer can single handedly cause so much havoc? Just a thought.

New-Work-139 t1_iy4w860 wrote

Honestly the lobster industry has been in trouble for a while now. I think it’s just the fact that they isn’t much margin left to afford any blows. Not to mention that the Whole Foods in Portland moves product like crazy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had multiple independent vendors.

DeuceClimaxx t1_iy522ml wrote

I see the point that you’re trying to make. However, if this was a local “Market Basket” your point would be valid. It’s Whole Foods a subsidiary of Amazon. I promise you, if you took the Amazon logo and just a photo of the outline of Maine, more people will recognize Amazon. That is why it is such a big deal.

−1

trg802 t1_iy5hmss wrote

Yeah I know, that's where the problem is

Bywater t1_iy1bltt wrote

Wait, you mean an business who pitches being environmentally considerate has stopped carrying a product that is gathered in a way that is proven to endanger a already critically endangered type of whales? Who could have seen this coming. Now do Canadian crab next...

Affectionate_Neat919 t1_iy41r8u wrote

How many whales have actually died in Maine waters?

SeawolfGaming t1_iy4477p wrote

Historically? Probably a fuckton because we used to do whaling. However as of recent? Not that many

Affectionate_Neat919 t1_iy44nkl wrote

Sorry if that was vague. I meant as a result of lobstering.

And was that a metric fuckton?

SeawolfGaming t1_iy452cq wrote

Nah Imperial fuckton

As a result of lobstering? Maybe 15 over the course of 100 years? I'm commiting rough estimates with those numbers. However the one of the most recent deaths was actually when a NOAA research vessel plowed into one.

−1

Affectionate_Neat919 t1_iy45lpl wrote

The whole focus on these restrictions feels more like a solution looking for a problem, especially when it seems that there really haven't been any casualties caused in Maine waters. Go figure.

indyaj t1_iy11b3v wrote

Who knew?

General_Pop6592 t1_iy1236i wrote

Whole Foods - P.C. always! Sickening. And in the center of lobster fishing as an industry. A trade, a tradition. I wonder if lobster fisherman would get together and picket? I would join for the cause and I'm not a fisherman. It's for the principle of it all.

−17

Cow-cud-is-a-twin t1_iy3z9w4 wrote

Lol if lobster men went on strike, literally no one would care. On no I don’t get to pay 45 dollars for a lobster roll. Yeah no one cares.

DamnMaineYankee t1_iy3qh6d wrote

I find it easy to BOYCOTT overprice health food. Trader Joes down the street!

dumbass_clouds t1_iy3x8xt wrote

So instead of getting lobster from the most sustainable lobstering industry, they'll get it from somewhere that probably has less regulations than us. Look at how much more lax the regulations are in other parts of the country, and tell me again that maine lobstering, which has not been proven to be harmful to right whales, is the issue.

General_Pop6592 t1_iy5lcsw wrote

Sorry for the question here in this group, But! Can someone briefly explain the high negative ratings I got just from this post? I had 9 negative already (don't know why, but that's past). But here, all I did was call out WHOLE FOODS in favor of a Maine industry and way of life-Libster fishing. And then ALL the left wing hatemongers come in and stir up the "right wing global warming" crap. This issue is about whales and trap lines.

logger07 t1_iy8m51v wrote

The attack of lobstering methods have nothing to do with the whales... go look up how many marine mammals are allowed legally to die from the offshore wind projects. More whales are allowed to be killed than what the fishing industry does.

furrylandseal t1_iy49lp2 wrote

I appreciate this debate because I’m trying to understand the facts. Even if they are climate change denying right wingers (which most certainly not all of them are - and maybe fewer than we suspect are), we definitely want to show up for them. WF boycott? What organized efforts are there to support the lobstermen?

−4

Hismadnessty t1_iy3hgbt wrote

This isn’t about protecting whales.

All of this legislation is being sponsored by energy companies that want to build offshore wind farms, which, wait for it… have been shown to be harmful to right whale migration.

−5

WalkerBRiley t1_iy3zeom wrote

OOF....your gonna need to provide some sources on this. As it stands, your connecting the dots in two different coloring books.