Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

vibrodude t1_ixct6hh wrote

Reported cases. What happens in Alabama stays in Alabama.

AdPrestigious4320 t1_ixdco77 wrote

I'm from AL & abusing your child there is the norm. I've seen many cases where teachers & even CPS pretended nothing had happened. So, you're not wrong.

lucidlilacdream t1_ixdy98b wrote

Alabama isn’t at the bottom, or even near it. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Washington are.

HunterThompsonsentme t1_ixcx0ye wrote

I don't really find this funny. Making light of a really serious situation, while also trying to deflect from the fact that this is clearly a major local issue. Have a little class

keep downvoting me you fucking children

−22

Extreme-Status-5776 t1_ixd1hyj wrote

I don’t think they’re making light, and they’re probably right. It would make sense that the states with higher poverty and more rural areas have higher levels of unreported abuse. Who is gonna find out and where are they going to go to tell someone if they don’t have means and live in the sticks

Sugarloafer1991 t1_ixdd6ja wrote

Higher poverty and more rural areas? Like Maine? We have 6 counties under 50k median FAMILY income. Every county except for Cumberland, York, and Sagadahoc are below the US median. Couple that with high cost of living and you get 11.5% of the state living in poverty. It’s time to recognize we have an issue and do what we can to make things better.

lucidlilacdream t1_ixdypol wrote

The states at the bottom are Washington, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania though…

yupuhoh t1_ixcz8cy wrote

Don't forget reported cases aren't always abuse. Alot of the time it's false reports.

−3

tailoredteflon t1_ixd4rcp wrote

Where do you get the idea that a lot of cases are false reports? What constitutes a lot?

yupuhoh t1_ixdh22f wrote

I've seen so many jealous exes call the state on people just because they were mad. It happens. I'm sure the statistics are out there as far as how many calls were made verse how many charges were brought up.

−1

arms_room_rat t1_ixdafvy wrote

What evidence do you have that "a lot of reports are false reports"? I will say, as someone who is a mandated reporter and has made many DHHS reports that reports are not alway investigated, that doesn't mean they are "false".

yupuhoh t1_ixdhc3q wrote

Mandated reporters are not the only people who call the state on people. I've seen it many times.

arms_room_rat t1_ixdhgh3 wrote

Yeah and?

yupuhoh t1_ixdiid7 wrote

Saying people don't call the state on people and lie is like saying people don't call the cops on people when they get mad. I'm sure the state has how many reports came in verse how many charges were given to people.