Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lucidlilacdream t1_ixdx58g wrote

I find this worrying. States like New Jersey and Washington are at the bottom. Vermont is towards the bottom, and California is in the middle. These are not conservative strong holds, and are states that are known for good education systems and better social funding, and I would imagine more mandated reporting and training. If it were true that it’s just more reporting, then we’d see all the states with better social and education systems at the top and states with poorly funded social systems and education at the bottom. But that’s not the case.

kczar8 t1_ixfx8du wrote

I think it’s a combination of amount of rural area as well as reporting. Maine is good at reporting and has a large amount of poor rural area. I feel like child abuse might be more common in rural areas because people are not so close to each other to notice. It also is more common with lower income house holds as food is more scarce and there may be other issues like drugs or alcoholism. There are not many states that have more liberal/reporting systems but also so much rural with lower income area!

lucidlilacdream t1_ixh0yyu wrote

Vermont is very similar to Maine, and this is not the case there. I also think the impact of opiates in Maine is a part of this as well.