Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Magormgo t1_iy22ddr wrote

MSR makes very durable shoes with easy to put on bindings. I’ve had mine close to 20 years. You can just replace parts as they break. I would definitely get poles, and find some local snowmobile trails to try out first. Deep snow will kick your ass, so packed snow is best for a beginner.

Edit: Also, you’ll wear less clothes than you think! It’s a very sweaty sport! I normally wear a windbreaker over a hoody. Also, street hikers for me are best, especially on packed snow.

bigtencopy t1_iy3abp6 wrote

Yup, MSR make some of the best

Magormgo t1_iy40om0 wrote

They really are. I’ve tried Tubbs, they just don’t hold up for aggressive areas, and my Red Feathers tore the first time I used them (steep hill).

Snooper2323 OP t1_iy37tj9 wrote

Thank you!!!

Magormgo t1_iy40hsg wrote

Tip: Most areas in Maine have snowmobile trails wherever there are power lines. You can legally use those, but please stay on the trails! And get to the side when snowmobiles come by, and wave! We all love having access and being friendly. Hope to see ya out there! It’s my favorite sport of all!

Ok, another tip: bring a solar blanket, and hand and feet warmers, and a snack and water. And make sure to tell someone the trail you’re going out on. You just never know, best to be safe!

Snooper2323 OP t1_iy5c6px wrote

I appreciate this also, thank you. 😊😊😊