Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bigbluedoor t1_j0sb19m wrote

bangor could really do some much more with its waterways. a river flowing through a city can be charming, beautiful and an attraction with the right development

MainelyKahnt t1_j0wtqlu wrote

Take Providence Rhode island as an example. Their river fire they do periodically during the summer months draws a good crowd.

MainelyKahnt t1_j0ukb0e wrote

Bangor is a VERY charming city. It has a ton of potential too. There are just massive issues with housing affordability and a lack of social services funding. This combined with a lot of NIMBY folks who don't want to do anything about either of those issues has made the urban decay quite pronounced.

Mainer1234 t1_j0svqyh wrote

ecco-domenica t1_j0ujsoa wrote

It's a nice photo (I appreciate all your photos), but that scene only reminds me of Charlie Howard. The canals have a sinister quality that I'm not sure can be made charming. But they're part of what makes Bangor Bangor.

BonsaiBirder OP t1_j0v5o66 wrote

Thanks. Who is Charlie Howard? Sorry I am ignorant about that one. I agree about the canals. Any flowing body of water SHOULD be beautiful, but these have had their beauty diminished greatly. A shame.

HelpImInMaine t1_j0vdb7i wrote

Its gotten better in the bad areas, and bad in the good areas... I hear they are going to be putting a new YMCA on the end of First street in bangor, dunkin' side.

Notmystationbro t1_j0wpmb9 wrote

Why would they move the YMCA down the street?

HelpImInMaine t1_j0wxalo wrote

Honestly no clue. I heard that from a new landlord on first street. I think because less congestion. Why does the city do what it wants...