Submitted by tbone985 t3_10cp6lr in Maine

Hi, I usually get started too late to start a vegetable garden with seeds. Yes, I'm a person from away... Does anyone have a recommendation on a place to buy starter plants that has the greatest selection and good prices?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

vsanna t1_j4gvryv wrote

What region are you in? Many local farms (the one I work for included) sell seedlings in spring for customers to plant. They may be a little more expensive than going to a hardware garden center, but they'll be healthier and more locally adapted, with the money you spend going directly to locals instead of a huge corporation. Check out farmer's markets near you, or search for farms in your area and see if any of them do pre-orders.

tbone985 OP t1_j4gyo8s wrote

Mid Coast - Brunswick to Camden are easy drives. Yes, I'd much rather a local farm where I can go and get stuff. The selection at the local farmer's market is a bit limited. I know Johnny's Selected Seed is north of Augusta but I don't know if they sell plants.

fakecrookedjaw t1_j4hokyw wrote

Camden and Rockland Farmer’s markets start in the first week of May and several of farmers/vendors sell a variety of seedlings.

blainemoore t1_j4i8o00 wrote

In Brunswick, the farmer's markets often have some good starter plants, and there's usually a plant sale at the lodge at the corner of Baribeau and Botany.

vsanna t1_j4h7o3t wrote

No, Johnny's doesn't sell plants, but they are a great company and source for locally-adapted seeds.

nil3n t1_j4hgysb wrote

moose crossing, waldoboro

Informal-Minimum-346 t1_j4hikrg wrote

Brunswick farmers market in the spring is an excellent source for seedlings.

JosephCedar t1_j4iy6yp wrote

Moose Crossing in Waldoboro

tbone985 OP t1_j4idbio wrote

Thanks, everyone. Notes taken and now I have a few good options.

Slmmnslmn t1_j4kmtmv wrote

Have you grown from seedlings before?

tbone985 OP t1_j4kxsdy wrote

Yes, I have. I use seeds and seedings. I just don’t like having to wait until the end of May to start with seeds.

Slmmnslmn t1_j4l0ole wrote

Have you experimented with starting your own seeds inside?

tbone985 OP t1_j4l1oel wrote

I think you missed to beginning of this discussion. I fly to Maine each year for the summer in the third or fourth week of May. I can’t bring seedlings on the plane. Most Maine gardeners have their seeds starting way before that. Then I’m left with the choices of start seeds late indoors, direct sow, or buy plants that were started at the proper time. Just trying to find good sources for the last option.

Slmmnslmn t1_j4lrgfy wrote

Okay. That makes more sense. Thanks for sharing.

IamSauerKraut t1_j4j81h1 wrote

I skip the more expensive starter plants and just start my own using seed kits beginning in mid-Feb.

Slmmnslmn t1_j4kmrpp wrote

Sunset greenhouse in fairfield.

NewtonsThird t1_j4lfy94 wrote

Whatley Farm has a great selection of seedlings every spring. They have a farmstand in Topsham and are always at both Brunswick farmer's markets.

rofopp t1_j4lqq7y wrote

ODonnels in gorham I think. Portland Farmers Market vendors have seedlings from later April to June