Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AriusTech t1_j3c019d wrote

This. My wife is an administrator in medical research: they see degrees as prerequisites but what gets qualified employees hired is relevant experience and interviewing. From what I've read, more prestigious schools help build more contacts in a social/professional sense, and some may give you more professional exposure to your field of study. IMO, contacts and experience can be gained without spending a small mortgage on student loans too!

FragilousSpectunkery t1_j3c45a1 wrote

>relevant experience and interviewing

and connections. Harvard, MIT, etc help because of the alumni connections. This is a path that UMaine hasn't taken full advantage of, at least in the past. Graduates need to talk to the alumni office and their dean's office and find the connections with alumni that work in the field of interest.

AriusTech t1_j3c6sp7 wrote

Yes, which is what I went on to describe in a general sense as "contacts". However, those connections should only get you leads or the proverbial "foot in the door", not get you hired... That would be nepotism.

FragilousSpectunkery t1_j3cay4y wrote

Nepotism is hiring family or friends over more qualified people. Getting an interview for the job is what we're talking about here. If there is an interesting job opening, first step should be (aside from determining if you qualify) is to see if any alumni work in the company. If so, contact them, introduce yourself, and ask about their experience in the company, telling them you were considering applying but would appreciate their inside take. If you still like the idea of working there, and are feeling a vibe, you can ask for advice on the application process. None of that is nepotism.

AriusTech t1_j3cgvmy wrote

I am fully aware of what nepotism is. If you hire someone simply because they are fellow alumni you have engaged in nepotism. You are talking about getting the interview. I literally said "...what gets qualified employees hired is relevant experience and interviewing". I also literally went on to say that more prestigious schools get you contacts to get your "proverbial foot in the door", as-in an interview. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here.