Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Professional-Try8144 t1_j506kym wrote

I am moving to Maine this September and am Canadian, and speak French! I have been wondering whether I’ll have anyone to speak French with!

FragWall OP t1_j509gca wrote

In what part of Canada are you from?

Hefty_Musician2402 t1_j508gvh wrote

Whereabouts? I think there’s a ton of French in the Lewiston area

Professional-Try8144 t1_j509iu3 wrote

I am moving to Portland to attend USM! I think that’s fairly close to Lewiston?

brother_rebus t1_j50awag wrote

Yea there’s plenty of African Francophones in Portland, but it’s almost exclusively their second language. Even the one’s I’ve spoken French with are usually conversing in other languages primarily.

otakugrey t1_j54222w wrote

Honest question, why on earth would you leave Canada to go to school in, of all places, America, especially Portland, Maine?

That's like choosing to leave living in a mansion to sleep in a refugee camp.

Professional-Try8144 t1_j671bxn wrote

That’s an angle for sure! Canada is great but I’m moving to be in the same city as my S.O. The tuition is highly affordable and she is there so - hopefully that’s acceptable!

chazzledazzle10 t1_j50i233 wrote

Lovely article, also from 6 years ago! It is nice to see French bring new and old Mainers together

Starboard_Pete t1_j51hrp4 wrote

My mom (from PA) loved having the opportunity to speak French at a Burundian coffee shop in Portland during her last visit. She lived in West Africa from 1972-1974 and doesn’t get to connect with the French-speaking African community much anymore. It really made her day.

FreedomsPower t1_j512zjz wrote

I love how people are connecting this way in Maine

Vryimpatnt t1_j50w4r2 wrote

If anyone's interested in French woodworking courses see:

studioartisane.com

gradontripp t1_j5192fi wrote

Colonization pour la victoire!

[deleted] t1_j50wfer wrote

[removed]

−21

FreedomsPower t1_j512wr2 wrote

Why? Does deomgraphical changes bother you?

[deleted] t1_j51591e wrote

[deleted]

−16

tehswordninja t1_j51agij wrote

You've yet to hear a compelling case for it because you don't listen to anything and you shun anything that goes against your beliefs. You're a shut in bigot, pathetic

flocking_north t1_j51jjr1 wrote

Definitely do not need more Dunning–Kruger poster child conservatives like you. Why are you so scared of big, diverse cities? You realize that places like bumblefuck, nowhere that you live in don't make the economy turn, right? If you had things your way, we'd be living in a truly awful place.

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/states-most-dependent-on-the-federal-government-2022

[deleted] t1_j51mzhf wrote

[removed]

−1

flocking_north t1_j51rttm wrote

Yeah, so crazy to bring up one of the most (if not the most) important factors of immigration. You brought up several large cities in your other comment as if they are shitholes. They're the places paying the bills your state government generates. Your homogeneous society isn't prosperous at all is my point. The most prosperous places in America are also centers of diversity. Also, all states are majority white (and most, by a huge margin). Do you know how to google? And absolutely, have lived in one and plan to return to one as soon as is practical for my situation. I can say, without any reservation, that living in the city I never felt unsafe, was surrounded by far more intellectual peers, and enjoyed the many benefits of urban living. You sound extremely ignorant and it shows that you grew up somewhere where you didn't actually interact with anyone that doesn't look like you.

[deleted] t1_j51uyb2 wrote

[deleted]

−1

flocking_north t1_j51y31m wrote

>Who is "paying the bills" in said cities? Hint: it's not the non-white people and their companies (or lack thereof). And let's not pretend like a sizable portion of this spending doesn't go towards supporting these low-productivity groups in the first place.

Low wage =/= low productivity. If that were true, I'd say this state is pretty damn unproductive. You almost understand systemic racism, but not quite. Also moving the goal posts. Fact is, scared rural folk like yourself aren't paying them.

> Is it your theory that wealth is concentrated in cities becuase they are racially diverse, or diverse becuase wealth is concentrated in cities?

Neither, I was pointing out correlation not causation. I think there are dozens of reasons why.

>States with minority non-hispanic white population:

White =/= non hispanic white. You said "largely non-white."

blackwillowspy t1_j55nmv0 wrote

Your racist self lives in Virginia and goes to GMU. Stop coming into other state's threads trying to promote hate propaganda.