Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

shartmagnet t1_j76bhnv wrote

Some most likely but never enough of them

IamSauerKraut t1_j76jqrw wrote

5 above might not do the job but 20 below ought to be enough to give the moose some relief.

The couple of cold snaps should be sufficient to reduce those stupid moths, too.

45test t1_j76d7qc wrote

45test t1_j76dbqc wrote

The TLDR is that the amount of snow we have around the state will essentially protect them from this cold snap - so snow insulation will likely protect them.

pinetreesandcake t1_j76wjhh wrote

You know what they say, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." 🤦

PatsFreak101 t1_j76f4up wrote

They’ve gotten good at surviving these. The most lethal events are the big cold snaps in like April after they’ve woken up for the first time

Literallydead_1 t1_j76ha36 wrote

It's supposed to be 40 tomorrow so like, they'll probably just wake back up and be at it again. Lol.

DeltaNu1142 t1_j76d9uu wrote

I found this thread because I was looking for the answer to exactly this question... but I'm not finding what I wanted to:

>"I don't think this cold weather coming up is going to have much of an impact on tick populations at all," said Griffin Dill, who runs the University of Maine Cooperative Extension's Tick Lab. "We don't have a lot of snow, but what we do have is providing added insulation to the ticks where they are over-wintering. They have adapted quite well to these conditions."
>
>Researchers say a milder climate caused by global warming may be contributing to the expansion of the deer tick's range, leading to increased Lyme cases, a bacterial infection transmitted by tick bites. Maine set a record for Lyme disease cases in 2022 with 2,619 cases reported.

Source

tycam01 t1_j76dd35 wrote

Maybe If we didn't have any snow

IamSauerKraut t1_j76jtf4 wrote

20 below penetrates. Won't get 'em all but will get a good number.

ReauxChambeaux t1_j76p17j wrote

It’s just going to make them tougher

krovek42 t1_j76i273 wrote

Early season snowfall is the thing that will reduce their population over winter. Ticks need to fall onto bare ground after their last blood meal in the Fall. Being covered in snow after that insulated them from the worst of the cold. If they feed and then fall onto early season snowpack they won’t survive.

Oniriggers t1_j76tgel wrote

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha This won’t do anything to the ticks. They are pretty much indestructible. You can put a tick in your freezer and pull it out after a few weeks and it will be ok.

sohikes t1_j780f7z wrote

Unfortunately no. 36-48hrs of extreme cold isn’t enough