Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

outer_fucking_space t1_ja5smaf wrote

I’ve heard moxie, crab apple and magic falls are the better ones to work for. I had a handful of friends who used to do this in the summers. It’s a pretty cool gig. Terrible pay but you get to live a low expense life in the forks which is cool. I used to go up every other weekend and do acid with them and stuff. Good times.

hike_me t1_ja8msqf wrote

I had a friend that was dating a teacher when they were both right out of college. She dumped him before going back to her summer job working for a rafting company because she wanted to be able to have casual sex with the other seasonal workers. He did not handle it well (he was really a kind of asshole about it and got drunk and made a scene when he ran into her at the bar afterwards). She had some unique talents though. 🤣

outer_fucking_space t1_ja8wazg wrote

She sounds cool. Sounds like she made a good life decision. Raft guides are a fun bunch. I was never one but I regularly hung out with them for a few years.

WalkerBRiley t1_ja7qw4y wrote

Do they still pay shit wages but expect you to pay for all your own equipment/rent/food/storage/transportation?

I had considered doing it in my youth until I realized I'd be losing money due to the low wages but the requirement to pay them for everything I needed to both survive and do the job itself. And everything was bought from them. So you were giving them back the money they gave you anyways.

Runnah5555 t1_ja46dyw wrote

Experience required?

dr0wningggg t1_ja4jrqq wrote

no they do guide training in spring. they’ll hire you as long as you’re physically fit enough to steer/control a raft full of people.

Creepy-Major-4342 t1_ja55kj1 wrote

All the companies hire. Three Rivers has one of the better training programs. Moxie is very family oriented. US rafting....just no. Northeast has mixed reviews.