Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Minute_Map_6444 t1_j7wpnon wrote

I did not charge rent and we had a verbal conditional arrangement for her to stay a max of one year. This was amended to she needs to be out by April first. I drafted an eviction notice today to cover my ass and left it with the rest of her things but obviously she hasn’t received it because she’s not physically staying here. AFAIK property isn’t abandoned in Maine until either 60/90 days and I have every intention of letting her get her things but would prefer to be present so she doesn’t pull shady shit

DifferenceMore5431 t1_j7wyfl4 wrote

I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how anyone could possibly construe this as a landlord/tenant arrangement. I think you are overcomplicating things with your "eviction". Just put her items in a closet and if/when she wants them back make arrangements.

Minute_Map_6444 t1_j7x4xx2 wrote

While I wholeheartedly agree, apparently the courts do not. Someone staying more than two weeks at your residence gains legal tenant rights vs just being a guest, even if they do not pay rent. It’s a shitshow. Last time I’ll ever be helping someone out in this way. Was a totally civil situation until today when I had the wrong door locked and suddenly she screaming about cops and court.

[deleted] OP t1_j8693sw wrote

Some rando screaming about "court" doesn't mean you have to serve her papers.

Tony-Flags t1_j7zvpg1 wrote

There are jurisdictions that define tenancy based on the amount of days that someone has stayed on your property, irrespective of a lease or payments. OP should contact a lawyer to ensure that this is not a tenancy situation. If it is deemed to be a Tenancy At Will, then a 30 day eviction notice is the quickest. OP should not dispose of any items owned by their sister, nor change the locks without a separate compelling reason, at least until they are able to get a consultation from a lawyer.