Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ForTheWin72 OP t1_iuaogq7 wrote

Don't be discouraged! I would start by saying that it takes time and you learn as you go. When I first started this project, I didn't know anything about PCB design and had minimal 3D printing experience and 0 experience with keyboard firmware. These things can seem super daunting, but the PCB design side is really just dragging parts around into the right places and then connecting them together with little copper traces. Soldering is really quite easy and a great skill for anyone to learn! I'm definitely a lot better at it now than when I first started soldering my own instrument cables, but that's the nice thing about soldering: you can really do a pretty sloppy job, but as long as you make an electrical connection, you can get by just fine. There's actually no real coding involved with this project as I was really just modifying text files according to the ZMK documentation and then it builds the firmware for you. It really helps a lot to compare to other designs that are out there! The fact that I modified my board from the Corne was a huge help in that I could go back and reference their PCB, ZMK files, etc. if I got confused.