Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

stylesuxx t1_ixz1fm2 wrote

Reply to comment by SmallPotatoK in A linear conclusion! by pedrorq

I took my switch tester to a meetup with friends a couple days ago, because one of them wanted to borrow it. Of course everyone started to play around with it and everyone was able to feel differences. I just think it is a matter of sample size. If you happen to have two very similar switches that are potentially over-lubed, then yeah, it will be hard to notice a difference.

SmallPotatoK t1_ixzi0ya wrote

Agreed, sample size defines a lot and of course similar switches are harder to tell apart, this goes to any similar things not just switch. I think another aspect that differs hobbyists and none hobbyists though, is the ability to identify the difference on top of noticing the difference, and further more know how to modify a certain part to maximize or minimize such difference. So like everyone could tell switch A is scratchier than switch B just from pressing it, but us would know that is material and lube related… or that they would think switch A make a more pleasant sound than switch B, and us would know how to tune the sound from different case/plate/foam/pad/lube etc. Now that I said this, I feel like a hobby, any hobby, is truly an art of themselves… the more time we spend in it, the more time we see things other people don’t

stylesuxx t1_ixzigmp wrote

Good point regarding noticing vs. Identifying the difference. Did not think about it in this way.

OverratedOnion t1_iy0q6j8 wrote

This is fair enough. But one thing that many people forget about is the sound. I have Zealios v2 in one of my boards and they sound very harsh and high pitched (which I kinda like). Different linear switches would sound different to others which can’t really be stated in a switch tester.