Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RayTracingOn t1_ixwveg6 wrote

This is anyone wanting to share anything or ask common questions. There is elitism in this sub and it’s off putting af

Prime example: the one user in this thread trying to justify why being a dick is ok haha

Soulcloset t1_ixx0id3 wrote

Yep, you do see quite a bit of it. I almost feel like it'd be nice to have an "r/mksupport" or something for people to ask questions, rather than one thread that it's easy to get lost in. I don't have the time to moderate a sub rn or I'd make it, because back in the day it was much more welcoming when people could post beginner level questions and help each other.

NoOne-NBA- t1_ixxi61o wrote

People still help people a lot here.
It's a relatively small number of people here that give the sub a bad reputation.
Assuming 1/10 of a percent of the people here are complete asshats, that's 1,000 people creating all the problems, in a population of over 1,000,000.

I focus my attention on the people who are willing to have actual discussions, whether they agree with me, or not.
I will admit some of the "improvements?" they've made to the sub are off-putting in themselves, and make it more difficult to help people, but I still see a lot of people trying to help where they can.

CumshotCaitlyn t1_ixxmo7i wrote

A million subs, wow.

What the hell happened here?

Swizzel-Stixx t1_ixy51zw wrote

I think glarses posted or something, then everyone commented ‘wow glarses posted’ or something, or maybe someone did an ama?

purritolover69 t1_ixzbrlg wrote

By the looks of it that spike is either september or august, the 2 months glarses didn’t post in this year. I’ll investigate and see

Swizzel-Stixx t1_iy0cnhi wrote

Really!? Wow I’m out of the loop… maybe they were wondering where the next glarses post was?

dsac t1_ixyvvae wrote

Giveaway, is my guess

MaximusMeridiusX t1_ixzbtpu wrote

I’m pretty confident that was the week that giveaways were unbanned temporarily, August 1-8.

purritolover69 t1_ixzcgcv wrote

Drop giveaway week. 7 posts, each one giving away 3 free keyboards or 3 free keycap sets, each post got around 17k comments, which got the post low on r/all and increased general interaction, creating that 30k peak you see

QWERKey-UK t1_ixxvz3l wrote

Probably a popular YouTube channel gave the sub a mention.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixxvwdf wrote

There's a daily questions thread just for beginners. Having one thread is much better if you think about it.

−7

xNyxNox t1_ixxxag1 wrote

Sure, but people almost never actually answer questions there. Seriously, scroll through right now and look at almost half the questions sitting unanswered. Not that I am blaming the community, it's time consuming and frustrating to answer questions. Earlier this week, I spent over half an hour curating a list of options for somebody because they were asking about building a keyboard for $100 and the only comment was to buy holy pandas or something. After typing it all out and clicking post, the comment disappeared. I think it had to do with the links I attached even though I tried to remove anything that could be considered referral related. I literally just Googled the stuff, I'm not making any kickback on it.

Also, the fact that it resets kinda sucks. If you post a question at the wrong time, you may never get an answer because soon after you typed it, a new post was made.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixxyv93 wrote

>Sure, but people almost never actually answer questions there.

No more of less than they would in the main feed. It depends on the question. If it's a "what keyboard should I buy?" question, then no, of course not. It's a pointless question that has no real answer without a long conversation to establish what the user needs. That's time consuming. The OP should just do a bit or research to see what they like. If you suggest that though... apparently you are elitist. If it's actually a question that can be answered meaningfully, then they often get answered.

I often spend time in that thread and do what I can help people, especially newcomers, but seriously, most of the questions are like "what's the best switch?". I tend to ignore such questions, as there's no really useful answer to give, and explaining why is again time consuming.

I do what I can, like many do, but let's be honest, questions like that never really generate useful answers even if they are in the main feed. Usually, they get ignored there as well, or at worst, get hundreds of answers from people just recommending what they personally like, and that is just as useless for the OP.

>"After typing it all out and clicking post, the comment disappeared. I think it had to do with the links I attached"

There are many sites that linking to will get the post removed. Did you link to AliExpress? It's best not to link to such sites.

>Also, the fact that it resets kinda sucks.

Can you imagine the thread without it? Sure, it resets, but you can just ask again, and the point is, you can ask as many times as you like without cluttering up the main feed and annoying people with the same question. Let's be honest, beginners never actually do check to see if their question has been asked. They can't do, or they'd not just dive in with "Hi, I'm new.... what keyboard should I get?". If people think complaining about that is "elitist" then they need to have a good think about how that can be annoying in a sub with over a million people subcribed to it. Of anyone still thinks it's elitist after that, then tough. There has to be some moderation on these things in a subreddit of this size. It can't be a free-for-all where the feed gets filled with "how do I get thock" posts. Just you watch though... this post will get downvoted. You can't just barge in and blurt out the same question that every other person asks when they also just barge in and blurt it out without searching and then accuse anyone that complains as elitist, as THAT makes you look like an over-privileged brat who expects everyone to stop what they are doing to pander to your needs.

Give and take. Spend some time reading the sub, and the wiki, and take at least a few minutes to see if your questions have already been answered.

xNyxNox t1_ixxzxq9 wrote

I definitely appreciate you and the others who regularly answer questions there. I try when I can, but admittedly I'm not sure I have enough experience to answer a lot of questions people ask. All of my keyboards are around $100 of total parts each, so I know nothing about the higher end.

I think it would be helpful if people ask useless questions to politely inform them. That way, they don't get discouraged from lack of help and people don't have to see the same person come back and post the same question tomorrow.

Like when people ask what keyboard to buy, say:

"That's a really hard question to answer because there are so many options. You should decide what layout you want and a budget, then come back with that information to get some options."

Maybe a copy & paste so it's less painful to type out each time? I know it's not a perfect solution, but it feels really bad to scroll through and see so many unanswered comments.

Also, small sample size I know, but someone posted they didn't know which switch to buy on the same day I was typing out that big response to the other guy. I told him I needed more info and before I was even finished writing out the other post, he had more info for me and also asked me to share what I personally enjoyed. I don't think it's fair to say beginners won't come back to their post, although I know it does happen sometimes.

Some people definitely suck at answering questions, like the guy I referenced in my original post who answered someone asking how to make a $100 build with "I like holy pandas," but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give people an active place to ask questions. That being said, you're right, this is a huge subreddit and it would be really annoying for a million people to get pinged every time someone asked a question and it got some upvotes.

I don't know that there's anything wrong with a separate place to ask and answer questions, but having a daily threat that resets every day means that if someone has the same question that someone else had in the past, it can be really hard to find that answer even though it's a question that's already been asked and answered.

I like the idea someone else proposed of an alternative sub just for asking/answering questions, but obviously someone has to have the time to create and run that. I don't really have a good solution for this part of the problem, it just comes with having an open community I think.

Also, kind of a side discussion at this point, but I linked Amazon, Dangkeebs, and Akko's website. I'm assuming it was Amazon that got the post removed, but it's honestly not a bad place to buy ultra cheap keycaps imo.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy24lq wrote

>I definitely appreciate you and the others who regularly answer questions there

That's good to hear.

​

>Like when people ask what keyboard to buy, say:
>
>"That's a really hard question to answer because there are so many options. You should decide what layout you want and a budget, then come back with that information to get some options."

Seriously... done that. You still get accused of being elitist. I get accused of it constantly. Kids just don't like it when you say things they don't want to hear, and I'm sorry, most of the salt comes from people who, if you read their posts, are obviously kids. This very paragraph will be seen as elitist as well now... by kids LOL. You can't fucking win. Kids are selfish. It's a fact. I have a kid... and I used to be a kid. It's just one of those facts that is unpleasant... when you are a kid. (shrug).

I just scroll through and look for things I just supply a definitive answer to. If many others did the same, then that thread would be as useful as the admins obviously thought it would (should) be. I'm not here to be anyone's friend, or mentor. I wish I had the time, but considering how busy I am, I'm absolutely amazed I find as much time as I do in here, so when after just disseminating common sense advice and genuine help, I get accused of this this (by people who never help anyone themselves), then those people can just take a running jump; Their tiny minds cannot comprehend how uninterested I am in their childish opinions. If they are too lazy to just spend some time researching at least whether their question has recently been asked, then they can just fuck right off. this has nothing to do with being a beginner in this hobby. It has nothing to do with keyboards... It's just lazy and annoying, and crap behaviour and poor etiquette... in ANY internet forum. Saying "but I'm only a beginner" is not an excuse. A beginner at what? The internet? This is not keyboard specific. It's just about being rude and being lazy.

​

>I like the idea someone else proposed of an alternative sub just for asking/answering questions,

The minute you do that, then everyone who feels even slightly aggrieved will want their own sub, and most of those people will part on bad terms because they thought they were badly done by in THIS sub. This is what happened with budgetkeebs, and now look at how they behave. Bad idea. There's a wealth of help available right here in this sub from people who have been in this game for a very long time. If you develop a breakaway sub just for beginners, only the beginners will use it. It would be like the blind leading the blind.. it would be a car crash. The thing is though, the people IN that sub probably wouldn't care.. or even know... so long as they get their answers... any answers... even bad ones.

Sometimes being pragmatic makes you sound harsh and cold, but if you dispassionately think about these issues, you'll see there's logic in there.

Release your inner Spock.

Kirball904 t1_ixz45ne wrote

Doesn’t matter what you do if you aren’t suggesting clones and cheap knock offs or you tell people anything they don’t want to hear you will be called elitist. It’s a hypocritical irony the calling of people elitists has become this whole other group of people that act elitist about being on the side of the average person.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixzc7mh wrote

Yep. Inverse elitism. Simple as that. The fact is, the existence of expensive group buy boards and keycaps doesn't affect anyone who has no intention of buying them. There will always be cheaper in stock items, no matter whether it is keycaps, or keyboards. There are plenty of in stock options for keycaps that are not clones, and the same can be said for keyboards. There's never been a better time to be in this hobby on a budget, but some people seem to think that if only they can get rid of group buys, they'll be able to get GMK caps for $50 with next day delivery, or a TGR board for $200 within weeks of ordering it. They don't understand how it all works. They just say " Why don't they just make them and sell them". If it was that simple, it would be happening already. They fail to realise that all these grail products are not mass manufactured, they are designed by members of this community who do not have the financial backing to just fund the mass manufacture of these things. They also fail to realise just how small these production runs are. Take keycaps for example. A successful group buy only sells around 2 to 3 thousand sets (including extras). That's not because anyone has chosen this as some kind of artificial limit... that's just the amount that was sold. The MOQ on GMK is 250 sets. GMK will make as many as you tell them to so long as you hit the MOQ. So those that realise this would be incredibly foolish to personally fund the production of more than this, even if they had the cash to do it.

xNyxNox t1_ixy2kal wrote

Well, I guess I can't really disagree with experience. I am thinking about things more theoretically, I'm not usually that active either in this community or on reddit, so it was mostly just ideas. It seems like you're someone who's pretty well versed in both.

I am interested though in your thoughts on budgetkeebs. I look a quick look over there (as I said earlier all my keyboards are cheap so I thought it'd be interesting) and I didn't see anything that looked strange. What's up with that community and now that I'm interested in it, is it something I should stay away from?

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy3mfg wrote

I'm just me. Diplomacy has never been one of my strengths LOL.

Re: the other sub. It's not their behaviour in their own sub that I refer to, but their behaviour in here. There was an issue when they set up the sub, when people from there used to brigade like fuck in here. They would pounce on any newcomer's thread and tell them they would not be welcome in here unless they had an expensive board, and then use the opportunity to tell them they'd be more welcome in their sub instead. If you read their rules, you will see that their attitude is in fact so anti-elitist, it's actually elitist. One of their rules is no group buys for instance, even though some of the best budget oriented keyboards of the past year have been group buys. Inverse snobbery, which is just as bad as what they accuse people in here of doing.

I'm not suggesting you should stay away from anything. There's definitely a remit to that sub though that is not necessarily just budget keyboards. It's also redundant; The vast majority of boards posted in THIS sub, are budget oriented boards.

Kirball904 t1_ixz4b1y wrote

That community is a haven for people that buy rip off counterfeit products. I personally think it’s bad for the hobby.

Kirball904 t1_ixz3gsf wrote

Not sure why you are being downvoted. This is a lot of the reason why people are dicks to people asking questions. 1 they aren’t posting in the right place and 2 it’s something they have seen 1000 times and are sick of answering.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixzecu5 wrote

I can see both sides of this. Those on the receiving end of people saying "Just search the answer, it's asked a million times already" just feel a little put out because it may not be that obvious to them that it's a question that is asked about ten times a day. The other side of that is the fact that if they just searched... which takes minutes, they would not have needed to ask. This is why I can't understand what the objection is to the daily thread is. It solves this issue mostly.

Kirball904 t1_ixzg5tu wrote

Yeah I always had teachers and professors that said you spend at minimum 10 minutes researching a question before you ask it publicly. If everyone lived by this there would be a lot less questions asked.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixzijc1 wrote

I worked for 13 years as a university lecturer, and I can't agree more. Furthermore, information that you attain by your own research is retained better and for longer. These are facts. Plus... learning is fun. When you grow up with facts being handed to you on a plate, it makes you far less able to solve your own problems and harms critical thinking skills. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions, but you should spend some time trying to find the answers yourself before you just ask. Usually the best questions are the ones raised from your own research, as the more you learn, the more questions you may have, but they tend to be relevant questions that are also more useful to others who may be reading your posts.

Kirball904 t1_iy09ay9 wrote

The other big problem is 99% of the time it’s a subjective question.

QWERKey-UK t1_iy0cfn0 wrote

Such as "what is the best switch?" etc. No one can really answer that.

Kirball904 t1_iy260ra wrote

Yup, what should I build? What’s the best mod for xyz? What’s the best sounding switch? What plate is going to thock the most? These types of questions will drive most any reasonable person to be a jerk in response.

QWERKey-UK t1_iy2k6nz wrote

When I reply that switches (apart from changing to clickies) don't really add that much to a board's overall sound and it's more like subtle fine tuning, and you should choose a switch for it's feel, weight etc. and that plate, case and keycaps are more important, I get downvoted, so I don't bother replying to that one anymore.

Kirball904 t1_iy74lug wrote

I would disagree to some extent. But thanks mostly to YouTube everyone is obsessed with sound being the most important thing about their build. If a board sounds great but is shit to type on it’s still a shit board. What irks me is that so many designers make boards with shit sound profiles because they know they can just throw in a tape mod and some foam to make up for their shoddy work.

QWERKey-UK t1_iy7erxg wrote

They really don't make a massive difference to sound. Especially once lubed. The sound difference is subtle. So far as sound is concerned, switches are just fine tuning, but if you are choosing a switch based on how it sounds, then you are choosing incorrectly, because you are absolutely correct: A nice sounding board that feels bad... is bad.

GanyuFate t1_ixy6me4 wrote

No it isn’t.

I asked if the keychron q3 gateron beown at $162 was good during prime and if there are any other TKL boards I should consider in that price range.

My only requirement was around $160, hate blue switches, and TKL.

If that isn’t specific enough then idk what to say as most beginners have less knowledge than me

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy6zpl wrote

How does this relate to having one thread or not? Are you saying that the whole system is broken just because no one answered your question?

GanyuFate t1_ixy71qc wrote

If I made a thread I’d bet you just about anything reasonable I’d get 5-12 replies with strong opinions.

The thread is dead

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy7tuu wrote

Maybe, maybe not. The point is though, the daily questions thread serves a purpose. The main feed was becoming increasingly chaotic with repetitive questions, often the same questions by people who just didn't spend a few minutes seeing if the same question had already recently been asked (which it often was). That is a fact. Are you suggesting we should go back to that just so YOUR question gets answered? To hell with everyone else? It's all about you, right? How much knowledge you have, or have not is irrelevant.

It serves a purpose. Like most solutions to such problems, it's not perfect. Can you suggest an alternative that's not just going back to the cluster fuck that the main feed became after the "pandemic rush"? If you can, why not suggest another way of doing things? Your idea may be a better solution.

BTW... did you get your answer, and if so, how did you arrive at it?

GanyuFate t1_ixy7y8g wrote

I’m not a Reddit pro but if there’s a way to track how long a user has joined this subreddit to ask a question in general feed instead of only daily thread

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy8e6p wrote

I don't understand. It's not just about beginners. While most of the repetitive questions do come from beginners, they are not exclusive to beginners. There are also people who join and just lurk. There's no real way to differentiate in a way that would "filter" people in such a way, and to be honest, it would be discriminating to do so. Effectively, it would be saying, "You've been here a week, so you know nothing", and conversely, "You've been here for a year, so you shouldn't be asking in this thread".

The ideal solution should be that people just take the small amount of time, and effort required to see if their question is a common one before they post, but despite notices asking them to do just that, they do not. This would be the advice in any large sub or forum, not just this one.

Did you ask your question again after the 24 hour reset, or did you just assume that because it wasn't answered then the thread is useless?

REBKeeb t1_ixwx5ws wrote

i remember first getting into this hobby, i could not buy stuff like this, same with audio stuff so i would just talk to people about it and a thing i did alot was make keyboard layouts and people would just shit on me for the most random things, like a non standard space bar or non normal layouts and stuff like that. sad really

NoOne-NBA- t1_ixxgti9 wrote

I don't worry about what other people think.

The things I make, I make for me.
If somebody else doesn't like what I made, they can go make their own things.
As long as my stuff works well for me, in the environment it was designed for, other people's opinions are completely irrelevant.

My latest "non-normal layout" is a 69-key split spacebar ortho layout, stuffed into a 60% case, with HHKB blockers.
A lot of people don't comprehend how it works, or how efficient it really is, but that doesn't matter to me.
It works beautifully for me, in my work environment, which is exactly what I designed it for.

REBKeeb t1_ixxip4w wrote

thanks for the reply thats so ture its all about how u use it c:

NoOne-NBA- t1_ixxly83 wrote

I don't know how deep you've gotten into custom layouts yet.
If you reach the point you are actually starting to handwire/build some of them, you should visit r/HandwiredKeyboards.
It's a friendly little sub dedicated to handwired boards, as the name would imply.
It's got everything from small macropads, to full keyboards, split orthos, etc...

REBKeeb t1_ixxok4s wrote

thanks!! this account i made for just computer and keyboard stuff so any subs involving this hobby get an instant join!

ramencosmonaut t1_ixzdlix wrote

This ... like who is going to see your layout? (well maybe people at r/battlestations but thats about it).

If I want my setup to look like a pack of unicorns had a frat party and threw rainbows all over my 3 full sized keyboards .... its my setup after all.

ThatGuyHarsha t1_ixy175i wrote

I remember asking a while ago about some cheaper keeb stuff when I was newer to this community and this random dude got so pissed off at me in the comments and bullied me in my dms for not knowing anything about keyboards.

I love this hobby and community but some of y'all need to just sit the fuck down and stop being fuckwits, nobody appreciates that.

Kirball904 t1_ixz57vw wrote

And there’s a bunch of people that have become elitists about calling people elitist and acting like elitists are running around actively trying to keep people out of the hobby. And that’s just simply not the case, no one wants to keep people out of the hobby. The more people in the hobby the more new manufacturers, vendors, designers there will be. This whole “elitist” thing is not an actual case of elitism or gatekeeping it’s just a way for people to put down those they don’t agree with.

ThatGuyHarsha t1_ixz646t wrote

I guess you're right in that it's not elitism, but it's still a problem I see in all communities that I wish just weren't a thing.

It's a shame really.

Kirball904 t1_ixz6adr wrote

That’s just humanity people are going to be dicks. It’s best to just not acknowledge it and ignore those people. Getting worked up over it is just going to bother you not the people who are actively dicks.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy4z2b wrote

You get people like that in any hobby oriented internet forum... all of them. You can't accuse an entire sub with 1.2 million subscribers as being elitist because one person behaved like a bit of a dick.

−5

ThatGuyHarsha t1_ixycpsw wrote

I thought it was quite clear I didn't mean every single member of this community.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixyd6di wrote

When I said you I was speaking to readers of my comment who may disagree not you necessarily.

−4

SmellsLikeBeefFillet t1_ixx3lrd wrote

There's elitism in every hobby-focused subreddit. Nerds get bored and need things to argue about and feel superior over

xiahuu t1_ixx42iy wrote

I agree. Doesn't make it okay, but it's a part of the game unfortunately.

[deleted] t1_ixxwshf wrote

[deleted]

Kirball904 t1_ixz5hsn wrote

No actually that’s why this sub existed. r/customkeyboards exists because this sub became overrun with non-enthusiasts and people that like to throw around the words elitist and gatekeeper. When the original users from here got overrun with that crap they started a new sub.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixymy34 wrote

So no one should post nice pics of their nice keyboards in here? Why on earth not?

QWERKey-UK t1_ixxx7fg wrote

>This is anyone wanting to share anything or ask common questions. There is elitism in this sub and it’s off putting af

What you think of as elitism is probably just people seeing the same questions asked day after day by low effort posters who can't be bothered to see if the same question has recently been asked... which it pretty much always has been considering the amount of people who use this sub. This is why the daily questions thread with a 24 hour reset was made I imagine. There are many of us who regularly spend time in that thread to help people, and it stops the main feed being clogged up with repetitive questions that get asked on a daily basis. I'm not sure why you think doing this is elitist. It's just common sense.

−3

RayTracingOn t1_ixxysv0 wrote

> What you think of as elitism is probably just people seeing the same questions asked day after day by low effort posters who can’t be bothered to see if the same question has recently been asked…

Scroll and move on. You or anyone doesn’t need to shit on anyone’s questions. Everyone is a beginner at one point

> This is why the daily questions thread with a 24 hour reset was made I imagine

Yet no one answers those and questions get downvoted. Not good encouragement.

Cool. You answered questions for someone. Not everyone is aware of the search feature and Reddits search feature is absolute garbage. Elitism or shit attitude it’s one in the same.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy05ow wrote

>Scroll and move on. You or anyone doesn’t need to shit on anyone’s questions. Everyone is a beginner at one point

No... you really need to have think about what you are saying. It appears that you think in a sub with nearly 1.2 million people subscribed to it, that having everyone just ask repetitive questions that someone probably also asked no more than an hour ago is perfectly fine? That would mean that you think this sub exists for that reason... for you... It doesn't.

I bet if I scrolled through your post history, there will be little evidence of you helping anyone, yet you feel that others should help you. Bitch all you like, but I bet that is true.

−8

Ayn_Rand_Food_Stamps t1_ixz45l9 wrote

> It appears that you think in a sub with nearly 1.2 million people subscribed to it, that having everyone just ask repetitive questions that someone probably also asked no more than an hour ago is perfectly fine?

You don't have to answer every single question dude. There are 1.2 million users on this sub, and one of them can handle it when it gets too much for you.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixzdgvz wrote

I fail to see how that adds anything to the argument. It's not whether people's posts get answered or not that was the problem. It was the sheer volume of repeat questions on a daily basis. Loads of people just asking the same questions without even checking if anyone else had asked the same question. You'd see the same "what switch should I get", or "how do I fix a key that double types" questions posted repeatedly by multiple people, often within a short space of time. It just made trying to read this sub awful. If people took the time to read the sub properly, read the wiki, and did a little research of their own before they fired off questions this wouldn't be a problem... but they don't, so it makes sense to have a place for these questions to be asked, and also to have the thread reset every day. The threads are archived. It's not as if it gets deleted, so you can still search for them. Surely you have to agree that it makes more sense for people to just search out existing threads that probably already contain the answers they are looking for instead of just posting the same question again?

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy4uq9 wrote

I checked. It's true.

−2

RayTracingOn t1_ixy8s21 wrote

You’re trying extra hard to justify why being a dick is ok lol

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy9aij wrote

Quite the opposite. My point is that you complain about people shitting on your questions, but if I take a slice out of your post history at random, there's always an example of you giving short, glib and sarcastic answers to people's questions. Are you saying this is not true?

RayTracingOn t1_ixy9cv3 wrote

Cool story kid. We know now who’s one for the elitist here who thinks they’re better than everyone

−2

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy9kci wrote

So when I point out your hypocricy, you default back to the "you're all elitist" mantra and ignore the fact that you are complaining about something you yourself regularly do. (shrug). Ok.

> kid

LOL Thanks for the flattery... but LOL.

RayTracingOn t1_ixyaapm wrote

> Cool story kid. We know now who’s one for the elitist here who thinks they’re better than everyone

−2

QWERKey-UK t1_ixydb56 wrote

Copy and paste is great isn't it?

RayTracingOn t1_ixydcb5 wrote

Specially for the ones who can’t read

QWERKey-UK t1_ixyjw9a wrote

I know... You seemed to have trouble reading why you are hypocrite. Which is why you are just parroting the same reply as if it validates anything.

Kirball904 t1_ixz5ryh wrote

You’re an elitist about calling people an elitist. This whole anti-snob gang mentality is the real issue. There is more people out here accusing people of elitism and gatekeeping then there is actual elitism.

Kirball904 t1_ixz35za wrote

Lol, this sub has changed and it certainly hasn’t become more elite it’s become full of people that are actively ruining the hobby with support for clones and low cost rip-offs. I think what you are interpreting as elitism is people that have seen the same questions over and over for years and are tired of answering them.

−3

ExpiredDeodorant t1_ixxh055 wrote

I'm looking through the ask thread and someone is just downvoting every question lol

Psychological-Bug552 t1_ixy0sol wrote

I saw that last week and upvoted every question because of it.

It's like people here are actively trying to keep the hobby small. My motorcycle people are out there grabbing everyone we can get.

LovingKindnessBot t1_ixzrzwv wrote

I don't understand the motivation behind gatekeeping.

MechNoob251 t1_iy0qir9 wrote

the people who do it probably won't even be able to tell you why, but it only harms the hobby and those already in it. We need more consumers to lower prices and improve wait times.

hungryyelly t1_iy9yzo6 wrote

Yeah, it can be really frustrating with the more niche communities. There's always some jackass who downvotes everything no matter what. The other thing that makes my blood boil is when people just tell you to "GoOgLe It" like motherfucker I most likely already did which is why I'm fucking asking now. This is why I stopped asking questions especially in the r/sffpc sub

Psychological-Bug552 t1_iya5zoi wrote

Interesting sub. I would have expected small to be smaller than most of what I saw. We have some mac mini sized computers at work, and every now and then, I bounce the idea of getting one for home because it would take up less space on my desk than the laptop. These are all still too big.

It sucks they're like that too. I think PC building is harder for a noob than keyboards. Most stuff is plug-in-play here, and if it's not, it's solder and play. There's not much that's straight-up not compatible.

GuyFromDeathValley t1_ixyfuls wrote

to be fair though, some motorcycle people can be elitist as well.. I got lots of shit and not so great comments just because my bike is a 125ccm.. its annoying and why I left that sub.

LadyDalama t1_ixy76g0 wrote

I notice that with a lot of subs tbh. Like the older people don't want new people posting questions, and if they do they throw a fit about how "You can just Google it and find the answer" etc.

PineAndApplePizza t1_ixyauqx wrote

Yeah, but we really don't need new people in "XHobbyJokes" asking noob questions and a lot of subs is about that. Inexperienced people making posts there make the experience bad. "XHobby" subs should be welcoming tho, but within a reason, people often can't google shit themselves and even if they try, but haven't found an explanation within 15m they start posting questions. If you're interested in something, then you can spend a few hours learning the basics. We are tired of people asking if they can fix their "A" key that doesn't work, there's a million videos how to fix a mech, just shut up and do it yourself, it's disrespectful of other's time and actually harmful for the community, because genuine questions are blended with spam all the time.

−16

WeEatBerriesYouFool t1_ixzfhkh wrote

"Ask ANY question, get an answer" is pretty straightforward. If you're tired of answering the same questions don't answer them, but don't gatekeep how much knowledge is needed before asking questions is allowed, that's ridiculous.

squirtmmmw t1_iy06vju wrote

It’s hilarious people here think they’re hot shit over one of the geekiest hobbies I’ve seen. I still love the hobby tho

AvengeBirdPerson t1_ixxk8gd wrote

Asking questions in the thread is pretty much pointless on this sub.

Necessary_Way6322 t1_ixxfxvy wrote

There are also people that ask stuff without searching the sub or googling anything and it's tiring to see low effort posts over and over

notlatenotearly t1_ixxtt3i wrote

Hi I just joined 2 hours ago what’s the best keyboard? Yeaaaaaa

needs2poop t1_ixyl4n9 wrote

My favorite is when you search for a question but all you can find are threads where people are yelling at OPs for not searching

GuyFromDeathValley t1_ixyfxyi wrote

And then there's people like me, not finding sufficient information on my research for my first mech keyboard, and getting downvoted on my comment asking in the megathread what switches to choose.

But agreed, low effort is bad.

C9_Starkiller t1_iy0h27c wrote

while i obviously don't speak for everyone, and dicks will almost certainly still show up and attack you no matter what...

i think it's a point of how did you ask it? Did you say "n00b here what switches do I choose???" or "hey, i have tried a couple of boards and find myself leaning towards the feel of linear switches. the ones i tried seemed light/heavy and instead i want something heavy/light. any suggestions?"

people taking time to help and be empathetic are 1000% going to interact with the comment looking like another budding hobbyist over the millionth useless "wut switchs does i git?" comment.

GuyFromDeathValley t1_iy0ni66 wrote

well, I explained my situation short: I'm a rubberdome user, but own a keyboard with red switches that I feel are nice but feel empty to me. Now I found a keyboard and can't decide on which switches I should get or which are better for me to be close to the rubberdome feel. Nailed it down to red or white switches, and had trouble figuring out what linear and tactile means and how big the feedback feels.

Sure, people can only help that much but, I was genuinely looking for help, not being lazy. at that point I already researched for 2 days as much as I could but there is only so much you can find online on articles. I had another keyboard as reference but no real idea how it compares to, say white switches in terms of feel and reactivity.

snackelmypackel t1_ixyj2re wrote

All try to help i have quite a few boards and have tried a lot of switches. I like helping where i can so feel free

GuyFromDeathValley t1_ixyvthx wrote

Thanks for the offer, already bought it though after getting like, zero help anywhere. Ended up going with the Kailh Box White switches, feel nice and now I know that no article I found really mentions the actual feel of the switch.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixyrbfe wrote

>downvoted on my comment asking in the megathread what switches to choose.

Because that's the dumbest question ever, that's why. It's like posting to ask what brand of peanut butter to buy. All you will get is people recommending what THEY like, so you end up with a massive list. What do you do then, go and buy them all? Very few switches are actually "bad" and there's no such thing as the "best" switch.

Beyond advising you on linear or tactile based on what you are currently used to... and possible how heavy or light you want them to be, there's not much else anyone can advise you about. Even if you do that, the remaining list is still massive.

Unless you actually get specific, and ask "What is the best switch with a POM stem, nylon housing, progressive spring and no more than 50g actuation force" it would be really difficult to be specific, and let's be honest, if you had done enough research to know enough to ask such a detailed question, you don't really need help buying a switch.

Ultimately, with switches, you don't really know if you will like it, until you try it. This is why I always smile when switches are named after foods - it's appropriate.

−7

GuyFromDeathValley t1_ixyvo0t wrote

What kinda logic is that though? tell someone, who has no clue, to ask ultra specific questions.. you can only ask as specific questions as you understand yourself.

Unfortunately, I had no idea how the feel of switches compare to the feel of a rubberdome keyboard, and that is where my problem was and why I asked. I needed some information maybe from a former rubberdome user who switched to mechanical and might give me an insight how they compare.

My question was specifically: What switch would be better suited for a former rubberdome user: Kailh Box red or White. I gave specific information that I wanted as close to rubberdome feel as possible, but need a noticeable feedback. that's it. I don't know if red switches maybe do have a feedback that simply nobody mentions because "duh everybody knows they got feedback" or the other way round..

It's quite hard as a newbie to find this kinda information online when 99% of the articles just.. compare the switches feels to those of another mechanical keyboards switches..

Dumb questions are usually a result of lack of knowledge. How do you get knowledge? by experience. Online articles aren't always the solution and just buying a random keyboard "on good luck" is also a bad idea.

TheSquashManHimself t1_iy1do94 wrote

To be fair, there are probably hundreds of youtube video reviews/sound tests the might immediately fill in a lot of information. Im willing to bet that if you just searched "kailh box red versus white" on youtube you would learn that reds are linears and box whites are tactlie clickies in les than 5 minutes, and you would have an impresion of their sound. I agree somewhat with others - the feel of switches is super subjective, so most advice other than the very basic "this is clicky/linear/tactile/silent" is almost entirely opinionated (and has likely a massive variance between users - 5 people will call some switches trash and the next 5 will say they are personal favorites). Its almost the same issue of going to a grocery store produce section and asking some clerk "which tastes better apples or grapes? Btw I like cantaloupe as a reference." - it would make much more sense to buy a few peices of fruit - try them on your own time and then decide what you like best. Indeed, you can also buy relative cheap switch testers before committing to a specific switch. For more artisanal switches you pretty much just have to try them for yourself. You can also search for local keyboard meetups to see if you can try certain boards in person if people are willing to let you (just ask nicely and have clean hands lol).

People should definitely not get mad at you (and Im sorry of they did) - thats not cool. But, even at best, its really hard to answer subjective questions like this.

yomikemo t1_ixxbuwi wrote

did you delete them all from your profile? this is the only interaction i see

sprayoo t1_ixypxvw wrote

to be honest i dont think this sub is a good representation of the hobby, ive found insanly amazing ppl in discords tbh, things like the r.mechkeys discord has a dcently welcoming community and my local mech scene is amazing

but yeah tbh i wouldnt actually interact with this sub with a 10 foot pole, i just look at the pictures :3

Kaqtukaq t1_ixyq1c0 wrote

Laughs in Logitech

kyonkun_denwa t1_ixyztnp wrote

I find elitism in this hobby to be hilariously high school drama peasant-tier. There are people spending hundreds of thousands on sports cars and ancient coin collections, or people spending millions of dollars on art, and some individuals on this sub feel like gatekeeping computer peripherals.

humanmrpixel t1_ixy387p wrote

What's non meta? I've seen a lot of "budget" keyboards on here lately, do you mean 400€+ boards?

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy5oxs wrote

The VAST majority of boards posted in here are budget boards. Despite this, newcomers seem to think that anyone who isn't posting a TGR Jane is gonna get lynched or something.

Psychological-Bug552 t1_ixz5fy5 wrote

Budget is very subjective. You can label anything budget. Unless budget simply means in stock and always available in which case a noob wouldn't know that.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixzarwf wrote

I can't agree more, yes, but experience tells me that most people in mean budget as less than $150, but absolutely. I think the keychron Q1 is a budget board... others may think it's really expensive. I don't think budget means in stock, as you can have relatively expensive stuff that's in stock. Drops range of in stock GMK keycaps for example... no one would think they are a budget option for keycaps, no matter how much money they have, as they are amongst the most expensive.

Commercial-Concert87 t1_ixypcnf wrote

Basically me when I modded a cheap keyboard with almost every mod haha

Kush1958 t1_iy01i9z wrote

Theres meta with keyboards? What is the meta?💀. Im building/modding my first keyboard soon just waiting for my ktt kang whites to come. Idk if that meta or not lol. I got a rk84 to do the mods on

Consuderably t1_iy105iq wrote

Reddit needs a better blocking interface. My blood boils every time I see a blocked author comment knowing full well it’s qwerkey-uk with another shit take phrased in an elitist manner that only deals in absolutes. Regardless of whether they’re right or wrong or focused on the wrong thing entirely, they never fail to come across as a pompous ass.

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate and understand what they’re trying to do and know firsthand it’s not an easy task, but still. drop the jaded snobbery no one’s going to listen if they’re being talked down to.

ClayWright t1_iy1fwh8 wrote

As a new person to the mech keeb scene, how are people elitist abt keebs? Like I’d get flamed for having the tiger 80 lite and not the aluminum version?

Leopard854 t1_iy6cvv9 wrote

The funny thing is, people complain about users not posting on the question sub, not realising the question sub leads to more people posting questions, because the search function does not show results from the question post.

griffinpurchase t1_ixxk501 wrote

the mods of this sub are so strict even a curse word in the post is a takedown

−20

QWERKey-UK t1_ixxxgtr wrote

That's not true at all. Allow me to fucking demonstrate. Why are you making things up?

HydrationPlease t1_ixy0vv1 wrote

Hold my beer. FUCK. SHIT. PENIS. Yeah nothing. I've seen some very colourful language and to be honest, it's almost all adults in the subreddit.

QWERKey-UK t1_ixy3y9k wrote

I know... some people just like to make shit up. (shrug).

griffinpurchase t1_ixzzhkc wrote

i posted a screenshot of a thread in about me not knowing that razer sucked and stuff and in the thread someone said something along the lines of "you must experience shitty keebs to truly appreciate a good one" and i think that is why it got taken down. It did pretty good until it got taken down by the mods

−1

QWERKey-UK t1_iy000e2 wrote

I see no reason why that would be taken down. While it's not really politic to call someone's board shitty, it is a valid point, and "shitty" is not really something that would warrant a post being taken down, as a couple of us have demonstrated already. Maybe a mod thought it was a bit gatekeepy... but it wasn't the language that did it.