Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PastaLoverUwU t1_j1xeyx3 wrote

To an average person, you look like you are either:

A very creative yet dumb drug dealer having product in the components

Or a total nutjob for swabbing 'broken' keyboard parts that you just have brought along with you, with lube.

AverageElaMain t1_j1y3n71 wrote

Everytime someone sees me lubing switches they ask me wtf im doing.

Flubert_Harnsworth t1_j1zw78m wrote

It does beg the question of how often people see you living switches.

But yeah, I remember telling a friend that I’ve been building keyboards as a hobby and they were like ‘the instrument’ and I had to respond ‘no just for typing’.

Evil_of_Evils t1_j1zelmg wrote

About to join the mile high club with a little tactile bump

fatfuccingtendies t1_j1zc4kl wrote

That's the fun, then other passengers will tell their coworkers they're meeting or family members at home about the strange dude on the plane cooking drugs (or whatever explanation they create).

Also if you're an early boarding group on Southwest and whip this out you probably have a much lower chance of someone sitting next to you.

PassionMonster t1_j1zg2zx wrote

If you’re on a Southwest flight you likely won’t be boarding at all

Anti-Antidote t1_j1zrwhk wrote

Can confirm, currently driving 20 hours since all the SW flights were cancelled

FallenCow t1_j1xovxx wrote

Yeah this is brave. I always end up dropping a few springs and stems when I’m lubing. Can’t imagine trying to locate them on a plane.

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1y5vno wrote

I tried to mitigate this by putting all the parts into ziploc bags when I wasn't using them, which worked out. Luckily the plane didn't hit turbulence.

Castle508 t1_j1y7jpo wrote

My first thought was, man if I did this the plane would hit an air pocket and the lady behind me would get half a cherry red to the face.

Aftershock416 t1_j1yv508 wrote

>lady behind me would get half a cherry red to the face.

Is that what they're calling it these days? How kinky.

FallenCow t1_j21akjc wrote

Might want to see a doctor if it's red.

DarkWorld25 t1_j1yfhu3 wrote

Very lucky for you then, my flight from HND to SYD last week hit 2 hours of severe turbulence

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1yiyik wrote

Yeah I was kinda scared to do this. I did this a couple days after the Hawaiian airlines incident.

DarkWorld25 t1_j1ykjib wrote

Wait there was an incident? Oh jfc that would explain why all the flights to hawaii were cancelled on the night we flew out LMAO.

EDIT: YEP, SAME DAY

kogasapls t1_j1yuacv wrote

My parents were kind enough to tell me about that incident after my plane landed. (Not to Hawaii or anything.) Sounds awful.

CTxVoltage t1_j207lg1 wrote

Yeah my go to is a pill organizer thing. Those big containers full of lil squares that open and close individually. I use these even in my own home because it just helps.

lukethenoteable OP t1_j21dxgd wrote

That's pretty smart. Unfortunately my bag is already fairly stuffed so I'm unable to do that

AMv8-1day t1_j1zpxs3 wrote

This is brave for the shear fact that if OP is anything other than a safe looking white man, Karen in 22B will be screaming to report him for building a bomb.

BigAsian69420 t1_j213pzo wrote

One time I was taking apart my paintball gun and one of the springs that was like a quarter of an inch and super super skinny, and mind you my garage is one of those that has shit everywhere. Long story short I ended up finding it on the other end of the garage under my dads tool thing.

SniffTheFinger t1_j1xvepo wrote

As a brown man, if I get this far, I cannot imagine the look of all the kens and Karen’s when they see me fiddling with a board .

maziX5 t1_j1xxqxl wrote

i thought you were talking about brown switches and i was like ?

concentus7 t1_j1xyib5 wrote

Why you gotta bring switch color into this?

maziX5 t1_j1xymzb wrote

i have made a severe and continuous lapse in my judgement, i do not expect to forgiven, i am simply here to apologize

Ikochi-San t1_j1yb5h9 wrote

Same. I was like, who lubes brown switches? Those go in the bin.

987cayman t1_j1yg4d3 wrote

Took me your comment to realise it wasn't switch colour. Thought it was about all the noise from switch clicking

Valac_ t1_j1y0ey9 wrote

I look like Osama bin ladens cousin...

I would be tackled by the air Marshall and put on the no fly list

fatfuccingtendies t1_j1zcm5f wrote

Seriously it's almost guaranteed that will happen.

I've been on a plane that got turned around on the run way due to a Karen freaking out about a Sihk businessman using an mp3 player.

zhrimb t1_j1zr36r wrote

Mp3 player? I'd be pretty amped that a time traveler was on a plane with me too

OGNatan t1_j2183jb wrote

The hatred toward Sikhs makes me so upset. I've known and had many close Sikh friends, and they are genuinely the most authentic and kind people out there.

Their entire belief system is dedicated to helping others. And unlike other religions, which claim the same but ultimately cause exponentially more harm than good (looking at you, Christianity), they actually achieve that goal.

But they get lumped in with "terrorists" and other groups because of their skin color. It's sickening.

Plurii t1_j1xrn6r wrote

Flight Attendant: “Hello sir may I ask what you’re doing?”

OP: “Uhh… I’m j-just tuning this um switch to kill some ti-“

Flight Attendant: runs to the air marshall

tbowen98 t1_j1xyww2 wrote

See the problem with this is that the flight attendant approached to ask you a question

kettleccalledblack t1_j1xf9ph wrote

Just imagine dropping part of a switch and losing it for good

CtrlAusDel t1_j1z6ytx wrote

Start with enough for a TKL, end with enough for a 40.

Great_White710 t1_j1xm8zx wrote

Must be a long flight

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1y5zgv wrote

Was 4 hours, not too long. I was planning on doing it on the previous leg (12 hours) but then was too tired.

Sleepy-Catz t1_j1zzs6c wrote

u from asian country ? probably transit in japan or korea?

Fun_Camp t1_j22q7sy wrote

My last two trips to the Philippines I took a direct flight from jfk to manila, which takes around 18 hours. I can't even imagine trying to lube and film switches on a flight that long, I'd probably go insane.

ChampionOfKirkwall t1_j1xrgat wrote

I SUCK at putting films on switches. I cannot imagine doing this on a plane.

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1y60rd wrote

It was tedious, messed up a couple times, but no major errors.

Heavyoak t1_j1xud46 wrote

I'm amazed you got that on the plane

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1y6205 wrote

Luckily didn't get questioned by security. I would have thought they would have asked about it.

PixelMiner t1_j1yb1nf wrote

Considering they miss about 80% of firearms when tested, I wouldn't be surprised. TSA is theater.

fatfuccingtendies t1_j1zcy8l wrote

They miss 80% of firearms but I guarantee they have never once missed a beverage more than 3.1oz.

Gotta get that $8 post security water bottle money for the airport.

ThatMBR42 t1_j1y5kws wrote

"Man, this keyboard's gonna be the bomb!"

Seat neighbor: o.o

BigPhilip t1_j1y77sy wrote

"HE'S MAKING A BOMB!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!! WAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!"

Omnithis t1_j1xgu3u wrote

Just a little bit of turbulence…

192hp t1_j1xxi73 wrote

Can only imagine the looks from those around you

arosiejk t1_j1xyoqh wrote

I feel like this would be the worst of both worlds for me. The process and flight would seem incredibly longer. I hope it worked out for you.

Gausgovy t1_j1y1ngv wrote

I couldn’t do this for two reasons. I don’t want to lose a part of a switch, and I don’t want to be on the news.

Vephs t1_j1xvrfn wrote

Bruh what about the turbulence?

shyrix t1_j1xprfh wrote

Great idea really

FriendlyRub2084 t1_j1y386z wrote

How do u bring switch lube into a plane

nutmeggii t1_j1zdake wrote

usually lube is less than 3.1 oz so it should be fine (USA TSA anyways)

Internetstranger9 t1_j1y7ndw wrote

There's no way I would risk it on a tiny tray table hurtling through the sky

Mav_Moon t1_j1xcne7 wrote

So smart♥️♥️

-m410N- t1_j1xyrsz wrote

Imagine plane shake and the whole parts and efforts fly away

concentus7 t1_j1xyvmo wrote

Black box switches... I see what you did there, and I appreciate the commitment to detail.

SpiderPanther01 t1_j1y1fb0 wrote

better be doing it switch by switch or else one piece of turbulence screws it

hakavillon t1_j1xzaba wrote

Genius!!! "Time flies when there's lubing fun!" That 13 hour flight must have seemed like minutes. :) Now the real question which switches are you lubing?!?!?

sandys1 t1_j1y2abd wrote

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Somegeezer t1_j1ypusy wrote

You can tell this guy is white, when it didn't end in the plane being landed prematurely.

QWERKey-UK t1_j1xymj9 wrote

I just get drunk and fall asleep... so respect.

Junt-Wic t1_j1y0vd1 wrote

This dude’s going places.

dtn_06 t1_j1y3kiq wrote

I’d have to be so zen to even consider doing this on a plane

ProBonoDevilAdvocate t1_j2130k9 wrote

Yeahh me too! I can can come up with soooo many reasons to not do this, it would never even cross my mind.

SightUp t1_j1y6nv1 wrote

Travel size lube containers.

bk0208 t1_j1y7tsv wrote

Looking at this photo gives me panic attack. (Imagine dropping a spring/stem on the plane and never being able to find it…)

kogasapls t1_j1yuhae wrote

I always prepare to sacrifice 5 switches per batch to the keeb gods anyway. Wonky leaf, manufacturing defect, badly lubed, shit don't work, etc.

Sengfroid t1_j1yawou wrote

How do you make it through security with this and I get stopped by TSA for a banana.

searchmyname t1_j1ysazb wrote

As someone who's been flying a lot this year for work....

1.) I already feel weird just bringing my 40% in my carry on. Especially when they make me take it out of its bag to see what it is.

2.) I would think you were so weird if you sat next to me. Then I'd probably be excited to have someone to talk to about my keyboard that I brought in my carry on.

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1yu5w7 wrote

Luckily the only people sitting next to me were someone I know and a grandpa that was sleeping the entire time. The flight attendants passed by multiple times but didn't say anything or have much reaction.

Yoosulis t1_j1y19nf wrote

You’re an absolute mad-lad

Lifealert_ t1_j1yavb1 wrote

A true madman! It's definitely a great way to kill time, but this would go so poorly if I even tired.

anon_swe t1_j1yfr4n wrote

I’d had to be your passenger if you knocked that jar of lube off lol

death2sanity t1_j1yg7wa wrote

Welcome to Japan! Or perhaps goodbye from Japan!

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1yiw3w wrote

Haha! I was only there for a layover, will be back for another layover tho.

aarrr1 t1_j1yhtgb wrote

My idol

camilatricolor t1_j1yimef wrote

Can you travel with Krytox in the cabin?

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1yipv9 wrote

Is it illegal? I didn't see lubricant as a banned item and didn't have problems with security.

fatfuccingtendies t1_j1zdcnr wrote

It's legal, but under 3.0 oz (in the US, but damn that's a lot of lube) and you have to hope you get a TSA agent that doesn't bin it because they don't know what it is.

Label it moisturizer or lip balm or something.

camilatricolor t1_j1yiws4 wrote

I actually do not know that's why I'm curious... Krytox is not flammable so maybe that's why they don't care, still not edible though :)

lukethenoteable OP t1_j1yjem0 wrote

Yeah I just thought that 205g0 isn't flammable so it should be fine.

mylosygalaxyfan t1_j1ykcrv wrote

i dont know why but i read this as “decided to kill someone on the plane” and i was so confused LOL

Relevant_Row_4644 t1_j1ymnop wrote

That’s like a big brain move as long as security don’t think your krytox syringe is drugs😅

actualgun t1_j1ynk29 wrote

I’m boutta do this on my flight back to Japan

Mr-Zee t1_j1yny62 wrote

It’s all fun and games until you hit that turbulence

das-spast t1_j1yq5ua wrote

To normal plebs u probably look like ur tryna build a bomb. Means ur doing it right.

vms_zerorain t1_j1ysgx8 wrote

"we are about to run into a bit of turbulence"

supyo t1_j1yy8x6 wrote

SAVAGE

Soy_Kapitan t1_j1yyuei wrote

Should have done this during during my flight from LHR to Changi and back. Couldn’t sleep on that flight.

wahtyoutalkinabout t1_j1z0y0u wrote

misread title as decided to kill some people on the plane

KindOldRaven t1_j1z2e2t wrote

That's a pretty good use of spare time tbh

LazaroFilm t1_j1z434t wrote

Sings while working “I’m living my stabs, just living my stabs”… now you’re on the no fly list.

chololongkor t1_j1zafec wrote

People calling you brave because of springs and small parts falling from the table, I call you brave because of random Karens calling flight crew to check that you're not building a bomb.

Because it happened to me, a local flight here in the Philippines to a tourist spot (Boracay), funny thing is, it was the standard tourist version of a Karen from the US. Lmao

JohACNH t1_j1zbmyt wrote

Not sure its kosher to type kill with a picture in an airplane... Nothing worse than flying and then on top of that lubing and filming some switches hahaha! Lovee this.

Crayofayo t1_j1zhbp2 wrote

Did you depart from a US terminal? I'd never think you could get this through security due to fluid.

I don't fly much, but I've heard how difficult security is in the states.

lukethenoteable OP t1_j21dmia wrote

I brought it through US (PreCheck tho) and Japanese security.

asp0102 t1_j1zizji wrote

Now do this at a Centurion Lounge!!

biolinguist t1_j1zn9w1 wrote

They let you bring that stuff on board?

CMDR_Smotheryzorf t1_j1zw8x8 wrote

I don’t see why they wouldn’t, it may get him questioned or sniffed and bag searched. But it is what it is, nothing illegal about it or dangerous.

SpazmaticAA t1_j1zvvay wrote

Think I'm becoming dyslexic. Read that as "Decided to kill someone on the plane".

angelyeeto t1_j205a1v wrote

This is a big brain move. Doing this next time.

xMrBanana t1_j205rmo wrote

I read the title “kill someone” and when I looked at the picture I thought “wtf! poison or something?!” Then I realised they are just some switches

hobovu t1_j20gak1 wrote

Excuse me, the person next to me seems to building some kind of bomb

EspowaveAnime t1_j20ggs3 wrote

How did you get lube on a plane? Let alone stabilizers?

miltingpot t1_j20q7qs wrote

I would be very annoyed if someone next to me on a plane was taking apart switches. That's something that can wait for sure lol

CommunicationEast623 t1_j20sahj wrote

Looks like a legitimate plane activity

Side note: imagine what you can do with that lune if someone annoys you

th3doorMATT t1_j20ww5q wrote

Call me sadistic, but I would love nothing more than to see you hit turbulence and those springs scatter everywhere, then awkwardly going to each row on your hands and knees looking for them.

sure_flint t1_j21611u wrote

You beautiful weirdo.

Kirball904 t1_j21aino wrote

Do those switches even need films?

Pinkisacoloryes t1_j21hq7g wrote

Not gonna lie. At first it looked like a bag of weed.

Jraider5 t1_j21x8gk wrote

As someone who finds the prospect of tediously disassembling, greasing, and reassembling 4,000 small pieces of plastic pretty obnoxious:

You're a freaking legend dude

krugerlive t1_j21z1x2 wrote

Yeah FYI krytox basically doesn’t leave surfaces without special solvents so this is maybe not very cool to the people who have to use this after you. You can put cling wrap or something down (I use Glad Press n Seal) under the workspace to keep everything clean after an easy cleanup.