Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

QWERKey-UK t1_j2cl493 wrote

There's no one way to type. Whichever you chose though, it quickly becomes to feel natural. I learned the "correct" way, and it feels completely normal and natural to me now, and my fingers just go where they are supposed to go without even thinking about it. If you want to learn the way you describe, then go for it. You can always fine tune things as you go along.

While it seems to make more sense to type the way you suggest in your diagram, there will be situations where it is worse. Words starting with, or containing WA for example would then be more difficult compared to the correct way. With QWERTY, whenever you think you've found a way to cheat the system, you usually pay for it somewhere else. It's tempting to learn Dvorak or another layout, but for me, the ability to type well on everyone else's keyboard outweighed the more efficient layout.

Learn how you feel comfortable though. At the end of the day, if you end up being able to type accurately without looking at the board, then that's all that matters.