Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

The_Flying_Dog OP t1_jacmsjs wrote

Subreddit here: /r/1001AlbumsGenerator

I know this has been shared in here before, but i've now reached 800 albums out of the 1001 albums in the list so i thought i'd make a short post about it.

It's a great little site that will help you to listen to one album each day, all taken from this book. Buy it and read up on the albums if you wish, or do like me and just read the Wikipedia entrance for each album generated to you.

Knowing the history behind the album and why it was added to the book really helps to appreciate stuff you might have not liked otherwise.

I went into this challenge a few years ago as i was mainly listening to the same old stuff on repeat. It has broaden my musical taste in a great way and i've learnt a lot about some great musicians and how certain (sub)genres were born out of other genres.

Here's a few highlights i've discovered that i had previously only heard about (or a few selected songs), but not listened to from beginning to end.

Nina Simeone - Wild Is The Wind

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

Duran Duran - Rio

Tom Waits - Rain Dog

Dolly Parton - Coat Of Many Colors

Wire - Pink Flag

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

cobywaan t1_jacurgx wrote

I am 448 into the same list. Definitely agree with

Nina Simeone - Wild Is The Wind

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

Dolly Parton - Coat Of Many Colors

as previously unknown to me that I definitely enjoyed.

There is a bit too much 60's Brit rock for my taste, feels like it is 20% of the experience, but overall I am happy I am doing it.

My desire for it waxes and wanes a bit, and I am currently in a bit of a lull. How do you feel about it being more or less twice as far into it as me?

Deadfishfarm t1_jadb8gd wrote

I listened to an album a day for a few months a few years ago. I stopped holding myself to the goal because I found it didn't take long to more or less totally forget what my opinion of each album was. Listening through an album 1 time doesn't give it a chance to stick.

The_Flying_Dog OP t1_jad78mn wrote

I know what you mean, but don't see it as a huge problem.

At first i asked myself "how is this one of the best 1001 albums ever" quite often, but now i've kinda accepted the fact that it's all very subjective, and the author(s) arent saying it's the best albums. Just albums they think i should listen to. And most of them do have some interesting background when i read up on them.

My US rating is higher than my UK though, if i look at my history (but i've had way more US albums than UK, so i guess if anything i would like more non US/UK stuff).

uglycycle t1_jad0z8r wrote

>There is a bit too much 60's Brit rock for my taste, feels like it is 20% of the experience

Oh man, yes! I gave up initially because I got like 12 days in a row of Brit rock and just got tired. I'm starting up again and got Brit rock first day but it wasn't so bad. I think I'll skip some of those days this time around and search out something from around the world when they come up.

uSeeSizeThatChicken t1_jacnn4j wrote

Tracy Chapman is a name I seldom hear these days. She was huge in the 90s .

missionbeach t1_jadek2r wrote

I really only know her from one song.

Cru_Jones86 t1_jadiit7 wrote

You got a fast car. Is it fast enough so we can fly away?

ReactsWithWords t1_jadm47k wrote

That was her one big hit, but for some reason "Give Me One Reason" gets much more airplay on the local Adult Alternative station.

Cru_Jones86 t1_jadsbqx wrote

Probably because that song is less depressing than Fast Car. It's not as good though.

lmnotrobot t1_jad85aw wrote

Is there a newer version of this? I’m seeing that the book was published in 2005. There’s obviously a lot of great “new” music that has come out in the last 18 years.

The_Flying_Dog OP t1_jad9yut wrote

The list is updated with the newer editions of the book. I've had an album from 2020.

However, it's most likely far from the best source for finding good new music, to be honest.

lmnotrobot t1_jadaeia wrote

I’ll check it out. I’m trying to gain knowledge of various genres of music and it’s history and I feel this may be the best way.

maniutin t1_jad9xlr wrote

yup there’s been multiple new editions

their website contains the most recent version including albums that were removed

Scapp t1_jacz61s wrote

If you have the book, is the website necessary? What does the website do exactly?

lereisn t1_jad08ry wrote

It suggests one of the albums to listen to, for example here is today's offering for me.

An album ive never heard of before and enjoyed. It prompts you the next day to rate it and also gives you that days recommendation.

Scapp t1_jad0tgs wrote

Ah thank you very much! So the site is just to help select the next album. I really appreciate it! The book looks super interesting and I'll probably pick it up

The_Flying_Dog OP t1_jad224p wrote

Yea, and it will also give you some stats based on your ratings. Such as your favorite genre, favorite decade, etc.

It's also pretty funny to read other users reviews for the albums.

twoquarters t1_jad6j5y wrote

I've always described Pink Flag as a roller coaster ride. It is such a shame the band spent most of their career running away from it.

PDGAreject t1_jadfz2m wrote

The Pretenders was a great find for me. Most people who have listened to any sort of classic rock radio have heard "Brass in Pocket" which was easily my least favorite song on the album. Super fun stuff