Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Reelplayer t1_jacabdg wrote

Just remember, it's far easier to play than it is to compose. Lyrics are of low value (you can write nonsense and nobody cares if it sounds good), but musical composition is what makes a song good. If you can't replace that, figure out how to make it work with him, because the songs leave with him.

Yourmomisnotshy t1_jacjsp2 wrote

Strongly disagree with this “lyrics are of low value” and the rest you said. I could hear the best music ever and if someone gets up with some nonsensical shit then it immediately sucks. Subjective. To each their own.

Chocolate_Rage t1_jad5akr wrote

I'm the opposite personally. When I hear a song, I only really hear the music and vocal melody. In certain styles of metal, you can't even decipher the lyrics lol

The lyrics themselves don't really stick in my mind. I can hear a song a hundred times and still not know the words

slowy t1_jadmy06 wrote

This is super true with electronic too - heavily distorted samples, unidentifiable l/random sounds like chair scraping across the ground, one of my fave song is in Spanish and it doesn’t matter - the overarching composition of the song, coming together in a connected, sometimes sprawling, way. Really it’s true for all instrumental music, but in a lot of electronic music I listen to human voice is used as a sound that’s not meant to be directly parsed.

That said, I also appreciate complex and meaningful lyrics in a different way, as an additional layer in some music, but not necessary. I also don’t think someone needs to be a classically good singer to be good. Some genres have people sing flat or off key and that’s what actually works for the music.

Yourmomisnotshy t1_jad62ei wrote

Thanks for the comment. That is SO interesting. It just goes to show how people connect differently to music. There really is something for everyone. I am totally opposite (I mean unless I can’t understand it like some slipknot or heavier metal then I just assume I like what they are singing about haha)

lellololes t1_jadlr90 wrote

I'm another member of the "lyrics don't really matter" club.

The way the song feels as a whole is far more important to me. Vocals are just a very versatile instrument.

This isn't to say that lyrics never matter, though.

HendrixChord12 t1_jadi0an wrote

Personal preference indeed. Like fans of jambands not caring the lyrics universally suck and most singing is rough.

Reelplayer t1_jacq6fn wrote

You've never listened to Beck, apparently.

−1

JoyfulForfeit t1_jad4b0y wrote

There's an art to it, though. You can't just say anything. There's phrasing and phonetics. So, while they don't "matter" in Beck's songs, they absolutely do.

Yourmomisnotshy t1_jacy021 wrote

Oh no. I’ve listened, seen him multiple times, but not a fan. Have never once put one of his albums on because I wanted to hear it. I’m guessing you must be huge fan of bands like the bloodhound gang or even weird Al. They aren’t selling out arenas. Someone like Bob Dylan with one of the most annoying voices are considered one of the greatest artists based on his writing. I think your theory is way off (even if you want to die on the Beck hill). But again, all subjective and I hope you enjoy your likes. Might as well just listen to EDM for the sounds…

miikro t1_jad82uc wrote

Weird Al often has incredible and clever lyrics, honestly. Don't undercut the guy because he's a comedy act.

Yourmomisnotshy t1_jadddyu wrote

Fair and true. He is very clever. Still could put something like Amish paradise as nonsensical haha but yes I understand your point

Chocolate_Rage t1_jad5fyk wrote

What sells and what takes talent in music are often far apart so you make a good point comparing Dylan to Weird Al