Submitted by RainbowBoyOhel t3_10uabis in Music

Well

I don't know how much help I can get because I will probably always have some regrets, but I want to know what would be the way that I would be the least confused about collection and right now I'm debating about all of them

In my head there are three main ones that I'm debating about: piano, violin and drums

As for piano, it's more like the whole family of percussion instruments. I'll probably start with some kind of electronic piano and see from there.

As for the violin, I might take a viola instead, but again, that's a little later, and the same goes for the drums

I love them all, piano has a wide range of possibilities and songs that can be produced from it and there are songs that I can listen to only because of the violin and there and there is something about the drums that I like how they highlight the booms (I don't know what to call it) that you can hear in some points.

So anyway I'll take all the help you can offer

Of course, if I choose a certain tool for the start, I can always switch to another, but in any case I would be happy to help

Thanks(:

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Azlamington t1_j7ar0o8 wrote

Piano. Professional piano lessons will teach you how to read sheet music which is always a useful skill to have especially if you would like to eventually write music. Also, most electronic music is composed with computer and keyboard so piano experience will help a lot with this.

Drums however is greatly sort after by bands starting out because drummers are hard to find. If you go into playing drums, this will be a separate thing to any other instrument you choose to learn. But, if you master it, you will find it way easier to join a band.

UpgrayeddSmurphy t1_j7b97lm wrote

Piano scales and chords translate to guitar, in a pig Latin kinda way, too. Good start if you want to branch out to more instruments later.

HortonFLK t1_j7b1m24 wrote

Learn the piano. It will give you the broadest base for learning other facets of music later.

MuzBizGuy t1_j7dkq0l wrote

This. It’s the best way to start understanding how music works because it’s all laid out clearly right in front of you.

DigiMagic t1_j7c96o9 wrote

Whichever is most attractive to you. Or if you care more about making sounds/music than playing technique, synthesizers can do everything (or at least close enough that most of the audience don't recognize the difference).

MoneySike3000 t1_j7cdqjn wrote

Play drums and develop your sense of timing. Once you get to that point switch to piano because that inner metronome in your head will give you a distinct advantage in playing and writing you wouldn't have without playing the drums first.

This_Philosopher1700 t1_j7d6sf3 wrote

The electric guitars always fun. Sure everyone plays it but it's still fun.

sashavie t1_j7dmjw5 wrote

Piano

It's the ideal instrument because it covers the widest ground in terms of music concepts, from melody, harmony/chords, and rhythm

Drums is a great 2nd instrument but I wouldn't start on the drums if given the choice as your exposure to music as a whole is focused entirely on rhythm and its interaction with the rest of the band or orchestra - your exposure to melody or harmony is not direct (because you're not playing melodies or chords on drums)

Violin, viola, cello and other "monophonic" instruments like winds and brass (monophonic means you can only play one note at a time - no chords; yes with strings you can play double stops but most of the time it's focused on one note at a time) - the focus is on melody lines which is great, but your exposure to harmony is more limited than piano

Guitar can be a good alternative to piano because you can play one note melodies, chords, etc and as such will get direct exposure to all facets of music

Think of it this way: the ideal instruments to start on are those where you can play an entire arrangement on that one instrument alone - those that can play melody, harmony AND create a sense of rhythm/beat overall at the same time

Also, it becomes a little if not a lot easier to learn 2nd and 3rd instruments if piano is your 1st one

HomerThompson15 t1_j7ataof wrote

I’m not reading all that but do what you want, not what random people on the internet say

−1

RainbowBoyOhel OP t1_j7az3qp wrote

how do i know what i want

MadPiglet42 t1_j7bbe8w wrote

How do you NOT know what you want?

Honestly, choosing an instrument is a very personal decision. Try all the ones you're interested in and choose whichever one speaks to you.

UpgrayeddSmurphy t1_j7ba9je wrote

Personal taste, musical interests, then practice. If you're not feeling it, you can always try something else. The great thing about music: "when it hits you, you feel no pain.."

It's all relative to your own vibe tho. I picked up a guitar, and never put it down. But, knowing what I do now, I wish I had taken piano first, (still plan to, and drums, just wish I had sooner is all).