Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

skychasing t1_j7ekunl wrote

Grammys recognize recordings, not just music. Hence they’re called the recording academy.

I haven’t heard hers but a good audiobook is nothing to scoff at.

newpotatocab0ose t1_j7emfmp wrote

Of course it’s nothing to scoff at! That’s not my point at all. It takes skill to properly pace and enunciate, and to add necessary drama, if applicable. She’s incredibly skilled. But it’s something that was written for consumption at home in a book. It’s bviously just my opinion, but it doesn’t really feel like a standard audiobook should be up for a Grammy award. It’s completely different.

−2

Legitimate-Professor t1_j7fjsbt wrote

But all audiobooks are up for Grammys so I don’t get your point. The Grammys are recording awards, it’s just that music is what most people consider when they think of recordings. That’s why they also give awards for remixes, producers, and songwriters. You wouldn’t say that if she won a producer award, would you?

All EGOTs operate this way because it’s close to impossible for someone to be at the top of the game as a screen actor (movie AND TV), musician, and theatre actor. Jennifer Hudson is exceptionally special for this, because she’s the closest of these 3 women in to having all 4 be full primary wins - but people said the same thing when she won a Daytime Emmy in 2021 for Baba Yaga. The fact that 3/4 awards that Viola won are prestigious performance awards (her Emmy, Tony, and Oscar) is incredible to me.