Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Paragon8384 t1_jebk63a wrote

I'm a huge prog rock/prog metal nerd and have gone through so many bands that had a bit of a spark, but one or 2 nitpicky things about them just didn't do it for me: Opeth, Riverside, Rush, Uriah Heep, Big Big Train, The Pineapple Thief, Ayreon, Anathema, Gazpacho, Bent Knee, the list goes on for miles.

DevinBelow t1_jeblh19 wrote

Also came to say Rush. My love of prog rock love comes more from King Crimson, The Move, early Genesis, Pink Floyd, a little ELP, but even as a Canadian, there was just something I could never get into with Rush. I don't want to argue with Rush fans, but to me, their music just lacks any soul. It's techinically precise which is impressive, but it just doesn't hit me emotionally at all.

Paragon8384 t1_jebyr34 wrote

Mine comes from more post-2000s prog: Haken, Leprous, BTBAM, Steven Wilson, Thank You Scientist. I've come across a lot of prog bands who don't have my particular happy medium of technicality & emotion, a lot of bands who I thought were decent and I would enjoy it if I heard their music somewhere, but not enough to the point where I needed to come back to them or add their music to my catalog.

Paragon8384 t1_jebz64b wrote

Mine comes from more post-2000s prog: Haken, Leprous, BTBAM, Steven Wilson, Thank You Scientist. I've come across a lot of prog bands who don't have my particular happy medium of technicality & emotion, a lot of bands who I thought were decent and I would enjoy it if I heard their music somewhere, but not enough to the point where I needed to come back to them or add their music to my catalog.

KrasnyRed5 t1_jebq8jf wrote

I have a lot of respect for Rush, but I don't like their music. I think it's primarily I don't like Geddy Lee's voice.

Ash_LLR t1_jee3zni wrote

You should look up some of the tribute bands performing those songs with female vocalists - YY Not comes to mind but I think there are others.

Kvothetheraven603 t1_jeeol1f wrote

I feel this…. I’m a big prog rock and metal fan but prefer clean vocals (I like some harsh but not majority harsh). You’d think Haken would be right up my alley but, so far, I haven’t been able to get into them. But I’ll be damned if I don’t keep trying every so often haha

Paragon8384 t1_jeerzr9 wrote

Dunno if you saw, but Haken released a new album a few weeks ago and it quickly became my new favorite from them. Maybe give it a try if you haven't already.

Kvothetheraven603 t1_jeeva4n wrote

I’ve only listened to the fist track and thought it was decent. I think what I need to do is put it in while I’m running and see if it will grab ahold through osmosis lol

Paragon8384 t1_jeevpy7 wrote

Taurus is good, but it's my least favorite track on the album. Elephants Never Forget is a fantastic epic on there. Best song of the year so far.

Kvothetheraven603 t1_jef2zle wrote

Alright, I’m going to throw the album on for todays run and see what happens!