Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Daddy_Tablecloth t1_ituk8mw wrote

I stopped listening to him long before the blatant antisemitism. You asked for opinions after all and my opinion is that hes never been all that talented. Also I'm tired of people stating hes a "genius" because lets be real he most certainly is not even in the same hemisphere as people who actually are geniuses. Anyone who says he is one is just literally repeating his self proclamation of genuis level intelligence. Even if you look only at his work and use that to judge his intelligence its average at best. The man has literally done nothing to change music in any way. So my opinion is hes an average at best musician with an ego problem , narcissistic traits , likely a personality disorder and the inability to self relfect on his God awful mental health. He will continue doing all of this because dumbasses go around supporting him still and nobody is willing to tell this overgrown child he needs a time out in a psych ward and to fucking take his meds.

If you genuinely care about this guy ( you shouldn't , hes just a celebrity and nothing more ) you should start explaining the reality of this guy's shit behavior to everyone who you meet who says they are fans. His behavior is unacceptable and his music is fucking mediocre as hell. Ive been around plenty of people with mental health issues my entire life. This guy needs help or he's gonna end up hurting himself or starting a fight with someone he shouldn't.

misdirected_asshole t1_itur0tm wrote

>The man has literally done nothing to change music in any way. So my opinion is hes an average at best musician

I think that's really big reach. I don't really know what constitutes a musical genius, as it's really a subjective term. People use the terms virtuoso or prodigy and honestly I think those do apply to him. The difference is that he's not a musician that plays instruments. As a producer, you have to put him at the top of the field and he has had an undeniable impact on music and culture in his career. I was around before Kanye and music immediately started to sound different because of him. He produced for so many artists before he became a solo artist (and after) and he absolutely shaped the sound of hip hop and I would say is in part responsible for how mainstream it is today. I find it very hard to deny that. I was there. I saw and heard it and was part of the culture and it will be near impossible convince me otherwise based on my lived experience. College Dropout changed rap/hip hop music and culture. I saw the hardest dudes you know wearing layered pink polo shirts with the collars up.

Now with that said.....

He absolutely deserves the backlash he's getting now. I stopped listening to him as an artist probably 10 years ago when he came out with the Confederate flag clothing. That was before Kim Kardashian. That was before the "slavery was a choice" comments. That was before the stalkerish, threatening behavior against his now ex wife. That was before the antisemitism. I was done a long time ago. I think it's good that he's getting dropped maybe it will give him a reality check that he's not a god among men. But sadly it probably will just make him more bitter and angry and we'll have to hear him whine incessantly about it. (Kinda like Donald Trump)

notaversilfgaming OP t1_ituy9w6 wrote

Thank you for your opinion …idk maybe my music choice isn’t great but I like ye

misdirected_asshole t1_itv0x93 wrote

His earlier stuff is more relatable and to hats what made it so popular IMO. Now he just raps about him being a mogul and his woes against the fashion industry or whatever. It's like...dude you're the only person this applies to. Nobody cares. His rap stopped being relevant a while ago. As far as the music it now sometimes feels like he's trying to hard to be different and it's just..meh.

notaversilfgaming OP t1_itv26h9 wrote

I mainly only listen to his older music Till like 808s

After that I only have a few songs from his newer albums

johnnyashes t1_ituzbg0 wrote

Not a fan of much of Kanye's music and I absolutely respect your opinion.

misdirected_asshole t1_itv0e2a wrote

I'm no longer a fan of his. Haven't been in a while, but for better or worse, you really can't deny his impact.

johnnyashes t1_itv22bi wrote

The vast majority of my friends consider him a genius but are now choosing to stop supporting him. I don't think he is a genius. I think he has just been given the platform to create unhindered from a mainstream definition of "good" which is wonderful. I doubt he will be given that much of a pass in the future.

I think if he had started with Donda he wouldn't be known outside of the "art" world which isn't very profitable.