Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DoctaMario t1_itcjv7j wrote

Is IS still very controlled, at least at the major label pop/country level. Pop acts are super curated but you also have the counterbalance to that which is journeyman Americana acts like John Moreland who are also able to make a living. People's tastes have splintered so we aren't forced to listen to top 40 radio anymore, which is why there are fewer "big stars" than there used to be. I prefer a music industry where we have more choice of what to listen to, and with how good recommendation algorithms are, it's easier than ever to find something you like.

I don't think many of the millennial stars have been around long enough to be replaced, and I actually think Billie Eilish is on an upswing. She's one of the few people most can agree is a star so she'll likely be getting a big promo push.

_90s_Nation_ t1_itckdt8 wrote

They're not controlled or promoted properly, because no-one knows anyone. You couldn't name like... 4 really popular singers now.

Dua Lipa and BTS,yes. Maybe. Even that - They're not shoved in our face like Britney or Backstreet Boys, Beieber etc were

Beyonce is still having hits in the top 40 and she was going when I was about 16. I'm now 30.

−1

DoctaMario t1_itcmdla wrote

Beyonce, Britney, BSB all got in under the old paradigm before things really changed though. They'll always be stars because they came up when stars were still a big thing.

I think labels are smart enough to know that promoting Dua Lipa to people who listen to rock or 90s country is just flushing money down the toilet and that because the radio isn't as ubiquitous as it used to be, people can stay in their own backwater and be completely unaware of what's going on in other genres if they want to. Nobody knows anyone in the top 40 but that cuts both ways, as people who listen to top 40 probably don't know the people these other folks listen to.

_90s_Nation_ t1_itcmtrp wrote

I can't really follow you.

There's no household names. Is what I'm saying. Everyone knows Michael Jackson.

In 70 years, no current popstar will be remembered.

DoctaMario t1_itcoe2o wrote

Simplest way I can put it is, people's listening habits have changed and there's more to compete with music now in terms of entertainment so big stars are going to be fewer and far between. If Michael Jackson came out now, he'd have the same recognizability issues Dua Lipa has. More choice=less ubiquity=less big stars.

_90s_Nation_ t1_itcpbiz wrote

You're exactly right, which is what I'm saying.

Music is just not as big as it used to be.