Submitted by codyfern02 t3_z5wela in Music

Just a bit ago, I was listening to music when Notion by The Rare Occasions came on. I was fine, then I suddenly was experiencing panic attacks and nausea? Something about that song just makes me feel sick.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ogbubbleberry t1_ixyak50 wrote

Is it possible there was some sort of Pavlovian conditioning; the song reminding you of an unpleasant time in your life? For me there is a song that was very popular at the time my best friend died in a house fire. For forty years ( until current) I cannot listen to that song.

CrysStephens t1_ixyakcx wrote

I have ptsd, and songs, smells, certain kinds of weather, or time of year... even good things can give me anxiety. Because subconsciously, we associate something about that particular stimulus as being part of an event or memory, or we associate it with the memory of a person or experience.

codyfern02 OP t1_ixyaqbo wrote

i have ocd and a strong suspicion i suffer from ptsd due to a very very bad ocd attack that sometimes gets triggered and reminds me of it. rainy weather, winter time and christmas time give me memories of the events. i think i remember having an ocd issue where my mind would repeat this song indefinetly.

codyfern02 OP t1_ixyasa7 wrote

i didnt really hear it back when i remember my worst event in life, but related to ocd this song was stuck in my head causing me a lot of stress. and i guess the songs meaning gives me a lot of stress as well.

vch01 t1_ixyfc2e wrote

It could have been the artist’s intention. Manic Street Preachers’ The Holy Bible is that album to me - cold, dry, dark. It’s meant to make you uncomfortable, and it was done masterfully

Rcomian t1_ixyh3la wrote

new goal, make music that affects people so viscerally that they're curled up on the floor shaking