Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Papa___Smacks t1_iycpc0p wrote

Idk man the HBO documentary was pretty persuasive to me. The best case scenario is still that Michael Jackson used his celebrity to have little boys sleep in his bed which is still super weird and inappropriate. If you believe any of the alleged victims, it’s much much worse than that.

EMPulseKC t1_iydee8j wrote

Wasn't that HBO documentary criticized for being extremely one-sided by promoting untrue allegations of sexual abuse from two accusers as fact, even though they walked them back later after the allegations were exposed as false?

Was MJ's behavior weird and inappropriate? Definitely. Do I believe he was aware at the time that it would be considered to be what we now refer to as "grooming?" No. Do I think that it extended to inappropriate sexual contact? No, nor is there any proof to corroborate accusations that it did.

For as much as the public saw Michael Jackson as an adult, in many ways, he seemed to still be mentally focused on being a "kid" and exploring the childhood he never had due to abuse and being groomed by people in showbiz himself. That's why he identified so strongly with Peter Pan and why his mansion was a big playhouse with an amusement park, and why his behavior extended to palling around with children much, much younger than him, often with their parents' knowledge and consent. And I don't think the sense of any of it being wrong entered his mind until the allegations and court battles started, at which point he suddenly pivoted into trying to prove himself as an adult -- getting married, having kids, etc.

MJ had major mental, emotional, and interpersonal issues that weren't treated with the level of appropriate therapy and intervention that they deserved. He was enabled by those around him and vulnerable to people taking advantage of his trust, and all of that contributed to his early death, and it's really easy to make jokes about the dead and accuse them of crimes when they're no longer around to push back. And that's exactly what that documentary tried to do.

Papa___Smacks t1_iydhryb wrote

The documentary was not exposed as fake lol

EMPulseKC t1_iydhxiq wrote

The documentary was not fake.

The accusations of sexual misconduct were.

−1

Papa___Smacks t1_iydp5rq wrote

I’m not sure anyone admitted to that. I understand thag Jackson was abused, but honestly I just don’t find it hard to believe that he did perpetuate that abuse. I think some people like Michale Jackson and Kobe Bryant actually benefited from dying with regards to their sexual abuse allegations. Neither really had to answer for it during me too, and because they’ve passed tragically it’s considered in poor taste to discuss. I think it ultimately comes down to a personal opinion, and I think reasonable people can disagree.