Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mikeldmv t1_j61mgu7 wrote

Everyone and their mother has this song in their top 10 though. You want unappreciated perfection, look up Santana Live at the Fillmore ‘68. The entire show is just immaculate. But never in my life have I heard anyone bring up how incredible Chunk a Funk is, or tell me to check out Freeway, or listen to his cover of As the Years Go Passing By.

Not only that, but his solos in much lesser known songs from his first few albums like Guajira and Taboo are also worthy of mention, imo. And as a lover of Maggot Brain myself, I would highly suggest checking out Latin Tropical and Flame-Sky. Both 10 minutes plus with similar vibes.

Even though Santana’s name commands such respect in the guitar world, people often don’t do enough to appreciate the quality pf some of his individual work imo.

Salty_Pancakes t1_j6219me wrote

For me, Caravanserai is my Santana go-to. Pre Journey Neal Schon on there. Put your headphones on, put that album and then open your eyes after the album ends.

mikeldmv t1_j632jpa wrote

Can’t argue with that. I prefer the intensity of the early albums and compositions, but I think he’s continued to make good music his whole life. I’ve only come to fully appreciate a lot of it recently to be honest, including Caravanserai and some of his other more mellow stuff